IMPORTANT: This Advertiser has requested that applicants MUST be National Residents / Valid Work Permit-holders. Other applicants need not apply.
First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
Working in First Wind’s San Francisco, Boston, or Temecula office, you’ll join an elite group of seasoned wind power professionals in the development, construction, and operations phases of wind projects across the US. The “ Wind Turbine Mechanical Engineer” will work with other professionals and technicians in a team environment and on a variety of engineering type projects, for the most part related to wind turbine drive train performance. You will assume and manage the mechanical engineering aspects of the department. The responsibilities for this position include the monitoring, remediation and reliability improvement of gearboxes and drive trains of operational turbines within the First wind fleet, the development of First Wind engineering standards and the support of construction, commissioning and operational efforts. The day to day activities have a wide degree of variety involving multiple projects simultaneously. This position requires approximately 25% travel.
As of August 20, 2012 First Wind has 13 operating projects with combined rated capacity of 772 MW, and owned two lines that connect projects to the electricity grid (generator leads) with transmission capacity of approximately 1,200 MW. Several of First Wind’s operating projects, Milford I and Milford II, which sell power from Utah into Southern California, and Stetson I, Stetson II and Rollins, which sell power in New England, include wholly owned generator leads First Wind built in anticipation of expanding these projects. Several of our projects are NERC jurisdictional.
This position can be based at either of the First Wind corporate offices in San Francisco/Temecula, CA, Boston, MA or Portland, ME.
- Planning, coordination, budgeting, and supervising on-site and off-site activities related to construction, commissioning, maintenance and repair of the company's wind energy projects.
- Contribute to construction, development and engineering-related activities during non-travel periods.
- Test and troubleshoot the company's wind projects as related to mechanical systems. Coordinate operation, maintenance, and repair activities to obtain optimum utilization of machines and equipment.
- Evaluate asset performance, report and recommend design or operational modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Lead the root cause analysis and remediation plans for defective equipment, enhance the design of problematic parts for the purposes of improving reliability
- Establish and manage relationships with service providers to perform repair work. Ensure relevant standards are implemented for the successful return to service of repaired units in accordance with design and supplier standards.
- Plan, prepare, and instruct training programs as required to share field engineering and/or product knowledge with operations staff.
- Maintain and establish databases of asset performance and repair work, monitor and interpret SCADA remote diagnostic systems
- Perform administrative functions, such as writing technical and/or job status reports, requesting quotes, ordering materials and services, preparing time and expense sheets in a thorough and timely manner.
- Be knowledgeable of, and conduct work actions in compliance with industry standards for safety, quality and environmental protection.
- Develop knowledge of relevant Terms and Conditions, both of the Company and of subcontractors, and perform activities so as to assure compliance and minimize risk.
- Research and analyze design proposals, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Travel to wind farm sites within the United States. Visit operating wind farms as required (up to 25%).
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering or comparable qualifications preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in wind industry preferred.
- Experience with vendors and independent service providers.
- Computer and software skills.
- Comfortable working at heights and the ability to perform essential physical functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation; this includes climbing 300’ wind turbines, lifting 50 lbs. above head, and meeting the weight requirement of safety gear, 310 lbs. or less.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Preference given to those candidates with Clipper, GE, Siemens, Vestas experience.
- This position can be based at either of First Wind’s location in California, Massachusetts or Maine.
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...