Windows/VMware Systems Administrator
Taos is immediately hiring for a Windows/VMware Systems Administrator located in Naperville, IL.
The Windows/VMware Engineer’s role is to operate and performance-tune Windows and virtual server platforms across the organization to ensure high levels of data quality, availability, and security. The Windows / VMware Engineer will design and implement in-house Intel-based server architectures that support core organizational functions, and assure their high availability. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure Windows and virtual server, efficiency, and maintenance that is consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. The Windows / VMware Engineer provides technical leadership within the team and provides strategic decision making down to the project planning level.
Strategy & Planning:
Acquisition & Deployment:
- Conduct capacity planning and develop long-term strategic goals for Windows and virtual server platforms in conjunction with system/data owners and department managers.
- Develop strategies for client/server implementations; architect the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
- Act as project lead in the design and review of new server systems, applications, and hardware; conduct capacity planning as needed.
- Lead, coordinate and participate in key process improvements as
they relate to the Windows and virtual server platforms.
- Coordinate and collaborate with network engineering, application
development, and database administration function to ensure
availability, reliability, and scalability of corporate servers
to meet business demands.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies
to ensure server security.
- Design and implement long-term strategic goals and short-term
tactical plans for managing and maintaining Intel-based systems
and systems software.
- Provide architectural expertise, direction, and assistance to
team members and other IS disciplines as appropriate.
- Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in
systems architecture, including analysis of cost reduction
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems
development efforts, and recommend technologies that will
increase cost effectiveness and systems flexibility.
- Provide third level support for incidents and problems in
designated areas of expertise.
- Work with systems and database administrators to implement storage architectures that utilize industry best practices.
- Install and configure Windows systems and software.
- Document the company’s existing systems architecture and
technology portfolio; make recommendations for improvements
- Review new and
existing systems design projects and procurement or outsourcing
plans for compliance with standards and architectural plans.
appropriate end-user access control levels for Active Directory
and Windows based systems.
- Confer with end-users, clients, or senior management to define system requirements for Intel based systems including Windows and virtual servers.
- Develop and execute test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement.
- Develop and manage a systems capacity planning.
- Develop, document, communicate, and enforce a policy for standardizing systems and software as necessary.
- Lead and participate in performance management tasks to measure system responsiveness and plan capacity.
- Respond to help desk tickets in a timely fashion for server and storage related issues; prioritize and respond to help desk tickets as appropriate.
- Escalate server issues to appropriate vendors.
- Plan and implement server upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
- Research and make recommendations on storage and Windows products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Monitor, analyze, and predict trends for Windows and virtual server equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend system enhancements.
- Review and deploy Windows system releases and vendor-supplied patches according to best practices.
- Support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Follow change control, incident response, and testing processes for modifications to Windows and virtual server platforms.
- Ensure secure user access and role validation processes for all Windows based systems.
- Perform Windows server security audits leading to identify and mitigate security threats to enterprise data. Recommend and implement changes where necessary.
- Develop, document, and maintain Windows system documentation.
- Develop, document, and maintain operational processes and tasks.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Participates in on-call and after hours support.
Knowledge & Skills:
- College diploma or university degree or 8-12 years equivalent work experience in server systems engineering.
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) certifications in Windows2003 or Windows2008 is highly preferred.
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification is highly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of at least 3 of the following: Active Directory design, VMware VSpere (3.5 -4.1), VMware VCenter, VMware SRM, Microsoft Exchange 2003, MS SQL Server, Microsoft IIS,
- Substantial proven experience with server management in a similarly sized systems environment.
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Windows servers, networks, and clusters.
- Hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting experience.
- Familiarity with data base management systems such as Oracle and MS SQL.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP protocols, firewall management, and database administration.
- Prior project management experience desired.
At Taos, you will always find the most challenging engagements, the brightest colleagues and the most dynamic community.
- Good understanding of storage architecture design techniques, theories, principles, and practices.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting storage servers and management software.
- Experience directing the work of outsourced service provider for some server management activities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills - ability to effectively interact with internal and external clients
- Ability to build and present persuasive arguments.
- Demonstrated ability to organize a project in logical, efficient steps (work breakdown structure)
- Experience desired in developing and submitting storage audits and compliance reports to governing bodies, legal entities, and/or external authorities.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Excellent architecture and technical support documentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and products as required.
For immediate consideration, please forward
Jaynee Castro . Taos is an equal opportunity employer.
Taos - 17 months ago
In the late 80's, Taos' founders, Ric Urrutia and Alexis Tatarsky, were working together as UNIX engineers at Apple Computer. They often...