Job Title: Writer/Editor
Reports to: Managing Editor
Location: Boston, MA
Organizational Profile :
Partners In Health ("PIH"), headquartered in Boston, MA, is an internationally recognized nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through its service delivery, training, advocacy, and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH operates sites for clinical care, research, and training in 10 countries (Haiti, Peru, Russia, U.S., Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Kazakhstan, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic) and has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, Guatemala, and Togo.
This is an exciting time for PIH. The organization is taking on immense challenges while its heightened visibility has brought the opportunity to influence even greater changes on the global stage. As our work continues to increase in scope and impact, PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization (see PIH values ) to join the team.
The writer/editor will create PIH-focused content for use in print and electronic formats, particularly the PIH website. As part of the Communications team, the writer/editor will participate in editorial planning, editing content from Communications team members and PIH staff, and serve as back-up producer to PIH social media platforms.
- Work with PIH staff at country sites and in Boston office to identify and develop story ideas and turn them into stories.
- Write interesting and jargon-free articles, profiles, and news stories that inform and engage PIH constituencies, including the general public, health care professionals, and supporters.
- Gather, edit, and package information from PIH staff into content for our website, social media platforms, and other Communications materials that is appropriate and appealing to a general audience.
- In conjunction with the Communications team’s production calendars, set, adhere to, and enforce multiple deadlines.
- Serve as back-up producer to PIH social medial platforms.
- Schedule and post copy to www.pih.org , including photos.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience producing compelling stories for a general audience
- Proven ability to write and edit material across multiple platforms
- Experience building strong relationships with sources
- Experience using social media platforms, particularly Facebook and Twitter
- Working knowledge of website content management systems
Partners in Health - 23 months ago