URC seeks a Writer /Editor to create print media copy, video and telemarketing scripts and other written communications that increase mental health and substance abuse awareness. Working with The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) this position will assist in increasing the public awareness about mental and substance use disorders.
Individuals with mental and/or substance use disorders experience high rates of trauma, unemployment, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, discrimination, poor health outcomes, and early mortality. Despite promising new approaches, little improvement has taken place and these individuals remain continually marginalized and excluded from their communities. Additionally, prejudice and discrimination have been identified as major impediments to social inclusion.
· Proofread and fact check a variety of print and digital communications products including marketing publications, website text, internal and external communications, and other content as it is developed with the goal of ensuring accuracy, clarity, grammatical correctness and a high level of quality and consistency for both internal and external audiences.
· Search out facts and stories that illustrate the need and build a case for support.
· Based on the strategy determined at the creative meeting, create copy that motivates and inspires people to want to participate in solutions to various needs.
· Interact with clients, research needed information and get a handle on the manner and tone in which the client wants to communicate.
· Organize resource to create a functional store of needed information.
· Communicate graphic concepts to Sr. Creative Director and graphic artists for projects that are being written.
· Analyze response data and make recommendations and judgments based on conclusions.
· As requested, coordinate freelance writers, writing workflow or other administrative or management tasks.
· Actively seek to keep abreast of new developments in the fields of direct response, fundraising and marketing.
· Completes projects within budget and given time parameters set by the Production/Traffic Manager and Sr. Creative Director.
· 3+ years of professional writing and editorial experience, including editing, proofreading, advertising copy and writing for the Web and social media.
· Demonstrated ability to write and edit effectively for a general audience as well as international development professionals.
· Demonstrated ability to write creative headlines and tease copy.
· Excellent overall written and verbal communication skills.
· Experience in editing and proofreading print and online content.
· Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage workflow involving multiple projects and deadlines.
· Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
· International and intercultural awareness and experience.
· Proficiency in major Microsoft Office applications and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word.
· Ability to read, speak and write fluently in English.
· Exceptional attention to detail.
University Research Co., LLC (URC) University Research Co., LLC where dedicated professionals provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. URC’s expertise centers on maternal, newborn, and child health; HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and infant feeding; and vulnerable children and families. It approaches the challenges rising from these health areas through quality improvement, health system strengthening, behavior change and communication, and research and evaluation.
URC's approach recognizes that human behavior is complex and results from a combination of context-specific influences, including environmental factors, social norms, health policies, the quality of health services, and individual knowledge. For this reason, we apply a systematic, continuous process shaped by evidence and feedback to develop and monitor multi-level, multi-media health communication and behavior change interventions that are part of our projects in over 45 countries.
URC is an E-Verify Employer
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.