The Young Elected Officials Network is looking for an outstanding candidate for a year-long Community Broadband Public Policy Fellowship starting in June 2013. A program of People For the American Way Foundation, the Young Elected Officials (YEO) Network is an organization that works to unite and support progressive elected leaders ages 35 and under who share a passion for building communities that reflect the values of freedom, fairness, and opportunity. Located in Tallahassee, FL and Washington D.C., the YEO Network supports and equips members as they define issues, develop solutions, and respond to the needs of their communities. Through policy and research assistance, skills and issue training, personal and professional development, and meaningful networking opportunities, the YEO Network is working to transform the political vision of our elected leaders into progressive action.
Broadband is a cross cutting issue, intersecting with education, economic development and justice, health care, and more, and impacting both rural and urban communities. The YEO Network Community Broadband Policy Fellow will work in our Washington, DC office, for one year, and will work to expand community broadband awareness and initiatives through strategic outreach and support of our YEOs around the country. Serving as our resident expert on broadband access and digital equality issues, this Fellow will also provide support in the research, development, exchange, and dissemination of other policy resources from diverse issue areas. The YEO Network Community Broadband Policy Fellowship is a part time position and comes with a paid hourly wage. Schedule is flexible.
Duties of the YEO Network Community Broadband Fellow will include:
- Building relationships with elected officials from a variety of offices in communities, states, and regions across the country;
- Researching and identifying initiatives and policy ideas that promote access to broadband for underserved communities;
- Generating interest and providing individual support to YEOs who seek to implement broadband-access policies or initiatives;
- Assisting with the tracking and promotion of all YEOs who receive news and media attention for their work with broadband access issues;
- Performing general legislative and policy research of cutting edge progressive ideas from think tanks, partner organizations, and YEOs;
- Assisting in organizing skills, policy, and issue education opportunities for elected officials in the form of teleconferences, publications, and conference sessions;
- Helping to maintain the daily operations of the Young Elected Officials Network;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated coursework and/or experience in political science and public policy, with an interest in expanding communities’ access to telecommunications;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Excellent organizational and administrative abilities with a strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work responsibly and independently, as well as a part of a team.
People For the American Way - 19 months ago