People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For (YP4) and Young Elected Officials Network youth leadership programs; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the newest generation of progressive leaders to create lasting change in their communities. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation's fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversity leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young leaders are sustained in their leadership over the long term.
This position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Advanced Leadership & Alumni Program Manager.
- Work with Advanced Leadership & Alumni Program Manager to set annual and quarterly department goals and ensure the department achieves monthly deliverables
- Coordinate program components of advanced leadership trainings designed for Fellows who have completed the first year of the Fellowship program including the Front Line Leaders Academy, Career Center, and Senior Fellowship
- Coordinates the Front Line Leaders Academy which includes the coordination of recruitment, selection, curriculum, logistics, evaluation, and other programmatic components.
- Initiate and support partnership opportunities for events and trainings at national, regional, and local conferences and events
- Support the Fellowship department through engaging alumni in the recruitment, selection, and mentorship of the current YP4 Fellowship class
- Support the research and tracking of the YP4 network to ensure that we are offering the programs and services necessary to support fellows to have long-term and meaningful roles in the progressive movement
- Recruit, select, and manage YP4 interns in the summer, spring and fall
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree and 3-4 years related experience including vote, campaign, grassroots, student or youth organizing, social justice, and/or leadership development work
- Experience working on political campaigns, organizing events, trainings, and developing new programs
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, adaptable, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and communities
- Strong commitment to professional development
- Good interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex information and present in a usable format
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part as a team
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and to work additional hours when needed
- Excellent written communications skills
- Social media, graphic design, WISIWYG, Adobe Suite, In Design, and basic html experience preferred.
- Commitment to the issues of Young People For and People For the American Way Foundation
People For the American Way - 2 years ago