People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation's fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversity leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young leaders are sustained in their leadership over the long term. The core of YP4 is our one-year fellowship for progressive college students, which supports and empowers them to create change now on their campuses and in their communities. The 2014 fellowship class is comprised of 150 fellows from 127 campuses in 39 states and is the next generation of YP4's growing network of over 1,500 alumni across the nation.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Young People For.
- In collaboration with the Director of Young People For and departmental staff, develop department budget and set annual and quarterly goals to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Manage Fellowship team members and support their professional development needs
- Oversee the development and implementation of all fellowship program initiatives including: implementation of regional trainings and national summit, individual leadership development plans, Blueprints for Social Justice, training and curriculum development, etc.
- Work closely with Fellowship Associates to manage day-to-day communication with Fellows.
- Assist fellows’ social justice work on their campuses or in their communities, and work with them to plan and execute sustainable, community-driven projects.
- Represent the Young People For team at local, state, regional, and national conferences and events.
- Ensure the effective management of the annual Fellowship recruitment and selection processes, including working with the Fellowship Associate to develop recruitment and selection goals, strategy, and work plans.
- Support efforts to strengthen relationships with key local, state, and national partnerships/alliances to influence programming to further the mission and vision of Young People For.
- Regularly assess emerging needs in department and work to build new initiatives or evaluate current programs
- 3-5 years related experience including grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development work.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Strong commitment to professional development.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex information and present in a usable format.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and to work additional hours when needed.
- Familiarity with MS Office applications, SALSA, and social media to advance progressive causes\
- College degree required
- Demonstrated staff management experience including ability to supervise, motivate and evaluate staff.
- Commitment to the values of the YP4 Network and People for the American Way Foundation
People For the American Way - 5 months ago