JOB TITLE: Youth Activities Coordinator
PROGRAM: YouthSource and Education Department
San Fernando Valley YouthSource Center
REPORTS TO: Program Manager and Sr. Case Manager
HISTORY and MISSION
The Youth Policy Institute (YPI) provides education, training and technology services to lift low-income families out of poverty. Since 2001, YPI has accomplished this by serving families in Los Angeles at 95 sites throughout the city. YPI has an annual budget of $34 million (including affiliated charter schools) and offers families education and training resources in the areas of afterschool, job training, early childhood education, physical education, adult literacy and ESL, computer literacy, charter schools, and college preparation. YPI also supports efforts to boost the capacity and effectiveness of small grassroots nonprofits that provide essential services for youth. Each year, YPI helps more than 30,000 youth and adults each year through these programs.
Youth Policy Institute (YPI) is seeking a Youth Activities Coordinator to provide enrichment/extra-curricular activities for participants enrolled in the North Valley YouthSource Center. This center will operate programming for both the YouthSource Center grant and the Los Angeles Reconnections Career Academy (LARCA). Center programming includes providing support services to youth, ages 14-24 that are in-school and out-of-school in order to meet their educational and employment goals. The center provides GED prep, vocational training and job placement support along with information on career pathways and access to higher education. The Youth Activity Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating enrichment classes that will support the needs of the participants and their goals while involved in the YouthSource Center. Activities will include, but are not limited to tutoring, sports, art, dance, music, and computer literacy. The Youth Activities Coordinator will also be responsible for coordinating with outside agencies that provide enrichment activities to make them available to YouthSource Center participants. Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
· Create and implement exciting, educational activities that provide a safe space for youth engaged in center services
· Work with youth and case managers to develop activities and workshops that are interesting and educational to participants
· Facilitate, supervise, and maintain at least twenty youth per class
· Provide tutoring on both an individual level and through group activities
· Supervise all participants to ensure a safe learning environment and organized program
· Work with collaborative partners in area to bring in new resources, guest speakers, and other activities outside YPI scope of work
· Must maintain accurate attendance records and ensure that students sign in and out each day
· Attend staff meetings and trainings as necessary
· Prepare educational lesson plans
· Maintain communication with Program Manager and Senior Case Manager in order to ensure activities are in line with youth service plan
· Adhere to tutor/student boundaries as outlined in Code of Conduct
· Adhere to workplace safety guidelines
· Submit weekly lesson plans
· Build relationships with students, parents, and administration
· Input data onto YPI database to track participant attendance of workshops/activities
· Adhere to appropriate dress code and sportsmanship during program activities
· Handle other responsibilities as required and/or assigned
· Proven ability to assist students with academic assignments
- High School Diploma.
- Must present copy of high school diploma as well as proof of certification or training if hired
- Previous experience with elementary, middle and/or high school age youth
· Minimum one year paid or volunteer experience in tutoring/mentoring environment
- Ability to work independently, self-starter, enthusiastic, flexible
- Must have access to reliable transportation to arrive to work site at scheduled time consistently. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.
- Strong organizational skills and deadline oriented
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office and Internet
- Enthusiasm and motivation to work with youth population
- Flexible schedule
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment with children
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (Mantoux) prior to beginning employment dated within 60 days prior to start date
- Must complete CPR/First Aid certification within 90 days of employment
- Able to work evenings and some weekends
- Bilingual Spanish
North San Fernando Valley YouthSource Center
$12.00-$15.00, commensurate with experience
Monday-Friday, including evenings and some Saturdays
To apply, please complete the information below.
YPIs mission is to create opportunities for low-income families and communities through technology, education and training services.
YPI is an equal opportunity employer.
Youth Policy Institute - 10 months ago