Reporting to the appointed Youth Camp Director, the Youth Camp Academic Director is responsible for all operations concerning the academic program of the designated Youth Camp. The Youth Camp Academic Director is responsible for the training and development of the youth camp instructional staff in conjunction with the Youth Camp Director; the development and implementation of the curriculum; the testing, placement and evaluations of students; and the scheduling of classes.
As a Youth Camp Academic Director for ELS, you must have a desire to work with students and have positive interactions with them. You must bring energy and fresh ideas to the classroom while making an impact on the students that will last for the rest of their lives. Additional requirements include:
- Developing and conducting the academic program in such a manner that it meets all standards of ELS Language Centers.
- Train and supervise youth camp instructional staff in conjunction with Youth Camp Director
- Providing substitute and/or regular classroom instructions as needed within the Youth Camp.
- Maintaining Youth Camp instructional/academic budget
- Compile all necessary supplies for Youth Camp academic operations, i.e., books, classroom materials etc.
- Supervise and coordinate initial placement testing and evaluation of students
- Orient new students to the academic portion of the Youth Camp program.
- Coordinate class scheduling in conjunction with Youth Camp Director and allotted space provided by host institution.
- Coordinate information and planning with immediate supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by ELS Special Programs.
- Live in the residence hall with the students and serve as a Residence Hall Counselor and Supervisor during allotted youth camp time.
- Minimum B.A. Preferred MA in ESL, Applied Linguistics or related field.
- Previous experience: at least one year teaching experience in the field of ESL and at least 6-months years of experience as an administrator in charge of teachers and/or teaching related responsibilities.
- Personal characteristics: Highly organized, outgoing, strong and effective communicator enjoys working with children, patient and energetic.
- On the job training: one/two weeks prior to camp start