Future Chefs is hiring a full-time Youth Workforce Development Specialist to support our three-year pathway program objectives. These include individualized post-secondary planning and preparation for high school participants: soft-skills training; job placement for recent graduates; and program development to formalize our 13th year apprenticeship model.
Who We Are
Future Chefs prepares urban youth in Greater Boston for quality early employment and post-secondary education opportunities in the culinary arts and supports them in developing a broad base of transferable skills as they transition to the working world. Future Chefs operates from a unique hybrid model that focuses on fostering workforce development skills within a youth development framework. Serving 223 young people last year alone, Future Chefs provides motivated youth with pathways to successful life and work after high school. We believe every young person is an asset to their community and offer authentic work experiences to instill the mindset and habits of success, thus strengthening our local economy and building civic engagement. In 2014, the organization is poised to expand programming in Boston, begin building a social enterprise, formalize a 13th year apprenticeship model and increase staff capacity to best serve its growing number of participants and graduates.
Who You Are
You are committed to serving a student-centric organization and have a Master’s Degree, either in Education, Guidance/Counseling, Social Work or a related field. You have worked in a setting that promotes Positive Youth Development and worked directly with urban teens and young adults. You have experience with both individual case management and group facilitation related to 21st century skills development. You have been recognized as a “people person” and enjoy forging new, purposeful relationships. You are highly organized and a positive team player who is motivated by new challenges and a fast-paced work environment.
Essential Job Functions
The Youth Workforce Development Specialist will work both independently and with Program Staff to:
- Assist graduating Future Chefs participants in planning for the transition from high school to post-secondary career development and training
- Provide ongoing support to post-secondary participants through regularly scheduled check-ins and meetings both on and off site
- Monitor and support Future Chefs participants in their job placements through regular meetings and contact with their site supervisors
- Track and log participant information and interactions using Salesforce and/or Excel
- Support curriculum development by creating activities, materials and facilitating workshops that focus on specific job readiness and soft skills topics
- Recruit community partners to bring necessary services and resources to participants and their families
- Make individual social service referrals for participants as needed
- Lead the creation of a realizable logic model with systematic protocols and benchmarks for students in the post-secondary planning and early implementation phase
- Draft memoranda of agreement to be used with employment partners and staff for 13th year apprenticeship placements
- Participate in Future Chefs sponsored or related events, occasionally on evenings and weekends
Special Job Requirements
- 3-5 years of experience working with high school-aged youth in a community-based/ youth development organization. Workforce development experience highly preferred.
- Master’s degree in Education, Counseling/guidance, Social Work or equivalent professional experience
- Commitment to alternative pathways of career development for young people
- Excellent organization, time management and communication skills
- The desire be part of a diverse learning community
- Flexibility and a positive, can-do attitude
- US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- Respect for the dignity of all work and willingness to consider multiple points of view
- Experience in the food service industry a plus
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefit package included.
- Access to reliable transportation
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends, as needed
- Must pass CORI check
Third Sector New England - 8 months ago