Under the supervision of the Zoo Veterinarian, the Hospital/Avian Wildlife Rehab Keeper will provide for and ensure quality care for hospitalized patients and quarantined animals, as well native wildlife in our rehabilitation program. This position will work closely with the veterinarian and veterinary technician to perform those duties associated with both long and short term patient care.
The Abilene Zoo is a dynamic organization that has been experiencing stable and impressive growth over the past few years in our efforts to promote animal and environmental conservation throughout the world. Our current collection consists of roughly1000 animals comprising 254 different species including large cats, black rhino’s, giraffes, primates, flamingos, etc. and a very extensive herpetological collection.
In addition to our worldwide conservation and education efforts the Abilene Zoo also provides an important service to the public, state and federal agencies by accepting all injured, ill and orphaned native birds. We offer these animals the finest available medical care and rehabilitation for release. The Abilene Zoo rehabilitation program is licensed by Texas Parks and Wildlife and US Fish and Wildlife Services.
Examples of Duties:
This position will provide for the management and daily husbandry of a variety of species including venomous and non-venomous reptiles, varied avian and mammal species.
Keeper is responsible for routine feeding, diet prep, and maintains indoor and outdoor cages, enclosures, exhibits, holding cages and service areas by cleaning, disinfecting and performing general maintenance to these areas as needed.
Capable of handling a variety of potentially dangerous species of birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians for medical exams, tests and treatments as directed by veterinarian.
Assisting with medical exams, and provide medical care for the hospital patients, including administering medications, fluids, and applying bandages as directed.
Fill prescriptions according to established pharmacy standards and as recommended by the veterinarian.
Perform daily patient assessments to monitor for a response to treatment.
Accession of animals from the public.
Provide care to newly acquired animals in quarantine.
Maintain medical records according to policies, including treatment sheets, ICU sheets, weight logs, reproduction forms, diet, and husbandry forms.
Keep rehabilitation, quarantine, and hospital areas clean, organized, and stocked.
Identify and communicate concerns to management in a timely manner. Report to supervisors daily with a Keeper Report of what was done according to the schedule, new developments, and tasks to be re-scheduled.
Performs preventative or routine maintenance of animal environments including collection, installation, and/or maintenance of furnishings and substrates; may assist with planting of landscape materials.
Assists in providing zoo visitors informational, promotional, and educational opportunities and other duties as required.
- Candidates must be responsible, flexible, self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as in a team.
- Applicants must possess positive oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Successful candidates should have an understanding of Animal Behavior management techniques and a willingness to participate in AZG animal programs and AZG educational outreach.
- Two years of full time paid work experience in a zoological, wildlife park or a closely related environment is preferred. Wildlife rehabilitation and Veterinary Assistant experience is strongly preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months of employment.
- Equivalent of a high school diploma is required. A degree in biology, zoology or a related field is preferred.
- Candidates must possess the ability to lift 50 pounds and exhibit a willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- A valid Texas Driver’s license or the ability to acquire one is necessary as a driving record check and a good driving record will be a requirement for this position.
- Staff will be required to work weekends, holidays, some evenings, rotating schedules and beyond scheduled work hours. Staff may also provide crowd control if necessary during peak times.
- TB testing performed annually.
City of Abilene - 30+ days ago