Organization: Birmingham Zoo, Inc.
Location: Birmingham, AL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Birmingham Zoo has an opening for a Full-time Zoological Manager of our Savannah Area. This Zoological Manager (ZM) works closely with Trails of Africa Curator and is tasked with both supervisory responsibility of a team of keepers and interns, facilities, and care for the assigned animals, including a herd of reticulated giraffe, Grant’s zebra, a variety of African hoofstock, red river hogs and birds. This position will also manage the Kiwanis Giraffe Encounter, as well as other interactions/keeper talks with the public.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Minimum of five years experience with the husbandry of a variety of exotic ungulates, especially giraffe in a zoo setting.
- Experience with supervising zookeepers/interns, including evaluations, scheduling, mentoring and training new zookeepers, safety audits, and fostering teamwork.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant biological field preferred.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills, interpersonal management skills, and computer skills are necessary.
- Good decision making skills. Should be able to respond to emergencies, take control of the situations, and see them through to closure. Must have the ability to work as a team member and to interact with the visitors in a positive manner.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and perform strenuous duties in all weather conditions.
Birmingham Zoo, Inc. is an EOE and a drug-free work place. Chosen candidate must be able to obtain a valid Alabama State Drivers license within 30 days of hire. To apply, please go to our website at www.birminghamzoo.com and download our employment application. Send completed application with a cover letter, resume, and salary history to: Wes Sims, Trails of Africa Curator, Birmingham Zoo, Inc., 2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223 or email email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Understanding and appreciation for BZI’s mission.
- Manages/Updates all area safety protocols and SOPs.
- Supervise and train the keeper staff on best practices for all aspects of animal care including, but not limited to, cleaning, feeding, watering, observing, record keeping, and maintaining of exhibits.
- Oversee the implementation of animal training and behavioral enrichment programs, maintaining mixed species exhibits, and animal/visitor interactives (giraffe feeding).
- Manage work assignments and coordinate staffing levels of area personnel.
- Active participation in TAGs and other AZA programs required.
- Available to work all necessary hours including weekends, holidays, special events and evenings as needed.
Association of Zoos and Aquariums - 20 months ago