How to Write a Personal Mission Statement (Includes 30+ Examples)February 25, 2020
A personal mission statement can help you identify your values and goals, defining what matters most to you professionally. It makes decision-making easier as well, as it clarifies whether the decisions you're making are in alignment with what you want for your life. A personal mission statement does take significant time and effort to create, although when finished, it provides a substantial payoff. In this article, we discuss in-depth what a personal mission statement is and how you can write one for yourself. We include over 30 examples to help inspire you as you create your own.
What is a personal mission statement?
A personal mission statement is a statement that defines your values, who you are on how you define success. A personal mission statement can be used to guide your decisions and help you stay focused to meet your long-term goals. A personal mission statement creates boundaries that make decision-making easier, as it's easier to see whether your decisions align with your long-term goals.
How to write a personal mission statement
Here are the steps you need to follow to write your personal mission statement:
- Write down what's most important to you
- Articulate your biggest goals
- Talk to your peers
- Identify the legacy you want to leave
1. Write down what's most important to you
Start by considering who you are and who you want to be. Write down what's most important to you and what you're most passionate about. Consider what or who you most value and how your life is connected to those people or things.
2. Articulate your biggest goals
Next, write down your biggest goals. Ask yourself what "the best" looks like for you. Take time to articulate your biggest goals in writing.
3. Talk to your peers
Talk to your peers and mentors and ask what they consider to be your greatest strengths. Think about what makes you exceptional compared to others who have similar skill sets. Consider how you want people to describe you. Write down a few words that you want to come to someone's mind when they think of you.
4. Identify the legacy you want to leave
Consider the mark you want to leave on the world and how your skill set can allow you to do that.
Tips for writing a personal mission statement
Here are a few extra tips to help you write a powerful personal mission statement.
- Keep it short. Your personal mission statement should only be one sentence long. The purpose is to focus only on what matters the most. To help you identify that one thing, try writing down five words that describe you and your purpose. Using that list of five words, try writing down two words that describe you and your purpose. Then think of one word and write that down. Use these words as inspiration to help keep your personal mission statement short.
- Be true to yourself. Your mission statement should reflect your greatest passion and what you believe your long-term purpose is. Know that it's okay to make changes to your mission statement as you grow and continue learning.
- Get feedback. Share your personal mission statement with the most important people in your life. They can provide you with important insights that can help you improve upon the statement.
Personal mission statement examples
Here are over 30 examples of personal mission statements to help inspire you as you write your own.
- "To serve as a leader by encouraging innovative ideas and forward-thinking so that our team can create technology solutions that will improve the lives of others."
- "To use my writing skills to inspire and educate others around the world to make change."
- "To use my gifts as a speaker to improve the self-worth of people around the world."
- "To inspire children to be more than they thought they could be."
- "To be a leader to my team, live a balanced life and make a difference."
- "To inspire others to achieve great things."
- "To thrive in my journey through life and learn life's lessons along the way."
- "To be kind to others and myself."
- "To create innovative healthcare solutions that improve the lives of others."
- "To help as many people as possible."
- "To be a teacher and inspire my students to be the best version of themselves."
- "To help men, women and children find hope after loss."
- "To bring joy to others around the world."
- "To use my gifts to bring education to women around the globe."
- "To positively impact the life of every person I encounter."
- "To inspire and encourage everyone I interact with on a daily basis."
- "To create new opportunities for today's youth."
- "To encourage and equip others to live the lives they want to live."
- "To inspire change through teaching."
- "To equip others with the tools and resources to pursue the life they want to live."
- "To support and elevate those around me."
- "To give students the resources and attention they need to grow into confident, effective adults."
- "To improve the quality of life of my patients."
- "To create stories that educate, entertain and inspire people around the world."
- "To pursue lifelong learning and inspire others to do the same."
- "To use my gifts to inspire others to achieve great things."
- "To improve the wellbeing of people and businesses throughout the world."
- "To treat everyone I encounter with love and compassion."
- "To use my gifts and talents improve the lives of others."
- "To create innovative technology solutions that will improve the lives of people around the globe."
- "To use my gifts to improve the self-worth and wealth of women around the world."
- "To inspire others to live the life of their dreams."