Business owners and operators still rely very heavily on recommendations. In the professional world, businesses often use recommendation letters to positively influence others about the quality of products and services offered by another business. In this article, we'll define business recommendation letters and provide instructions, a template and an example for creating your own.
What is a business recommendation letter?
A business recommendation letter, or reference letter, is a recommendation for the services or products supplied by one company to another business or a person. The third party that produces the letter can either be an individual or a company, as long as there is a positive assessment of the subject business or individual.
The reference letter can serve several different uses:
- It can endorse the quality of products and services provided by a business to potential clients.
- It can act as verification of claims for services provided.
- It can positively influence job candidates wishing to know more about a business.
What to include in a business recommendation letter
The format you use for a business recommendation letter will depend on the area and industry that the letter serves. The requirements for recommending a service-oriented business or vendor, for instance, will be different from that of a retailer, as they will include different elements. However, there a few common contents needed in almost every business letter of recommendation.
- The contact information of the recipient of the letter
- The purpose and reach or extent of the recommendation letter
- The date when you wrote the letter
- The information of the business entity or person that you're recommending
- Your name and contact information
- Your business or organization name and the name of the business or entity that receives the recommendation letter
- The date you wrote the letter
- A formal business salutation
- A statement that describes why you can write the letter
- Your overall knowledge or impressions of the entity that you're recommending (this can include operations of a business and the quality of services provided, or the character traits of a person.)
- The nature of your relationship with the entity that you recommend
- Details that demonstrate why the business or person is recommended
- If it is a directly related recommendation, you should indicate your willingness to interact with the person or business again.
- Tell the reader how you can be contacted for more information.
How to write a business a reference letter
After defining the purpose of the letter, there are a few steps to follow to create an effective recommendation, including:
1. Collect all the required information
Make sure that you have all the related information about the company that you are recommending. For instance, you will need their contact info, business hours and area(s) of specialty. If you can't find all the information online, consider calling the company and asking.
2. List positive experiences with the company
List all the positive aspects of the company that you have experienced during your interactions. Detailing your history with the company or individual you're recommending will help ensure the person receiving your recommendation has a thorough understanding of why they should work with who you're recommending.
3. Obtain the names of all key people of the company
Obtain the names and titles of the key individuals of the company such as the CEO, managers and the owner or owners of the company.
4. Address the recipient by name and title
Begin your letter by formally addressing your recipients with their complete names.
5. Enter the subject line as "Recommendation" or "Reference."
If you're sending the letter as an email, the subject line would include "Reference" or "Recommendation."
6. Write the contents
The content of the body of the letter is where you state all of the related facts of who you are, your relationship to the entity, why you are writing, what interactions you've had, when they occurred and why you are recommending the business or person.
7. State the results of dealing with the company
In your recommendation, you should also mention how happy you were with the result of any interactions and offer to provide additional details.
8. End with a cordial professional salutation or invite
Your letter should close with a professional salutation that reflects the contents and tone of your relationship.
Business recommendation letter template
Here is an easy to use business recommendation letter template that you can customize to get started:
[Your phone number]
[Your email address]
[The opening line is where you state the purpose of the letter and introduce yourself and the business you recommend]
[The body of your letter follows in the main paragraph. You enter all the details of any favorable interactions or communications you have had with the business, what was the outcome of the interactions and why you can recommend the company. You may mention the names of some of the people that you have worked with but be sure that you have permission to do so.
Include some specific instances as proof to add credibility to your recommendations as to what qualifies you to be able to recommend the company]
[Invite the recipient of the letter to contact you for more information, and repeat the reason why you are recommending the company]
Business recommendation letter example
Here is a sample recommendation letter to help guide you in writing your own reference letter:
Director of Operations
Forever Quest, LLC
459 Oldtown Pkwy
To: Leandra Naves
Venue Tech Artist Management
17759 Greenbriar Blvd.
Subject: Letter of Recommendation
Dear Leandra Naves,
I am extremely delighted to recommend to you the exemplary quality services of Halford Tech, Inc. They provide all clients prompt and efficient 24-hour service. You will find that compared to other providers in the market, the quality of services and pricing is among the best in the region.
Halford Tech, Inc. has developed an outstanding reputation in the industry because there have been very few complaints over the last few years. I have never experienced a network interruption in the last five years that we have used the services. I also note that the company has received two consecutive gold star awards for internet service providers for the last two years, and I believe that it mainly due to a sterling reputation.
I strongly recommend Halford Tech, Inc. for all your Internet accounts and know that you will not be disappointed.
Feel free to contact me for more information.