20 Side Jobs to Generate Additional IncomeFebruary 13, 2020
Everyone has different work situations depending on their goals, aspirations and daily needs. Working an extra job might be a necessity depending on your primary income and lifestyle, or it might be a good source of additional income for spending money or saving towards a certain goal. You might also take on an extra job to gain certain skills or experience.
Here are 20 side jobs you could pursue to generate additional income.
Side jobs for extra income
- Average Salary: $10.09 per hour
- Job Duties: Cashiers handle exchanges and refunds in a quick, efficient manner. They collect payments and bag purchases for customers while maintaining an accurate cash drawer.
- Requirements: Basic mathematical skills and ability to handle money in an organized, responsible fashion.
- Average Salary: $10.16 per hour
- Job Duties: Bussers collaborate with wait staff to ensure that tables are cleared, cleaned and waiting for the next party. They might also be responsible for filling empty drinks and arranging tables for large parties.
- Requirements: Customer service skills and ability to work evenings or weekends.
- Average Salary: $10.75 per hour
- Job Duties: Housekeepers clean and maintain all areas of a home on a regular basis. Some duties might include laundry, sweeping and cleaning windows. They might also provide services like organizing or cooking.
- Requirements: Good customer service skills and ability to work efficiently.
- Average Salary: $11.09 per hour
- Job Duties: Many restaurants and stores have temporary openings for seasonal workers during various times of the year. Tasks might include being a cashier, keeping track of inventory, cleaning and organizing or gift wrapping.
- Requirements: Good customer service skills.
- Average Salary: $11.19 per hour
- Job Duties: Lifeguards monitor the pool to ensure the safety of swimmers. They might also be responsible for opening and closing the establishment and treating the pool with chemicals on a regular basis.
- Requirements: First Aid and CPR certifications, ability to pass pre-employment practical skills test in the water.
- Average Salary: $11.68 per hour
- Job Duties: A valet typically works for a restaurant or venue, parking cars and bringing them back to customers when they are ready to leave.
- Requirements: Valid driver’s license, good organizational and customer service skills.
- Average Salary: $11.98 per hour
- Job Duties: A telemarketer makes calls to sell products or distribute information for a company. They often use scripts (with necessary adjustments) to ensure consistency of sales program. Telemarketers also answer potential clients’ questions about products or goals.
- Requirements: Excellent phone manner and articulation, ability to type minimum 40 WPM (words per minute).
- Average Salary: $12.36 per hour
- Job Duties: Customer service representatives answer incoming customer calls regarding billing issues, product problems, service questions and general client concerns. They impact the company’s bottom line by problem solving and turning frustrated clients into repeat customers.
- Requirements: Good communication skills and ability to handle difficult client conversations with empathy and understanding.
- Average Salary: $12.09 per hour
- Job Duties: A library clerk assists librarians with organizing and stocking books as well as maintaining inventory on computer systems.
- Requirements: Basic computer and organizational skills.
- Average Salary: $13.69 per hour
- Job Duties: A transcriber translates an audio recording into a typed document. There are some specialty roles, like medical transcribers, that might require additional training.
- Requirements: Ability to type minimum 40 WPM with attention to detail and minimal errors.
11. Delivery driver
- Average Salary: $14.08 per hour
- Job Duties: You can be a delivery driver for a large corporation where you drive on assigned routes working with dispatchers, or individually through delivery apps to bring groceries or restaurant orders to customers.
- Requirements: Reliable form of transportation and strong customer service skills.
12. Rideshare driver
- Average Salary: $14.43 per hour
- Job Duties: Rideshare drivers set their own schedules providing transportation services in their area. You have the ability to work whenever you have free time for as little or as much as you’d like.
- Requirements: Valid driver’s license and reliable form of transportation.
- Average Salary: $15.13 per hour
- Job Duties: Babysitters are responsible for temporarily watching over and caring for children. Some responsibilities might include taking kids to and from school, cooking meals and providing entertainment.
- Requirements: Reliable form of transportation, positive references, CPR or First Aid certifications.
14. Dog walker
- Average Salary: $15.82 per hour
- Job Duties: Dog walkers are responsible for taking one or more dogs on a lengthy walk, ensuring they are well exercised on a regular basis and cared for under their supervision.
- Requirements: Good communication skills, ability to walk for long distances and handle multiple dogs at a time.
15. Remote assistant
- Average Salary: $16.42 per hour
- Job Duties: Remote assistants help customers with various tasks like organization, writing communications, keeping track of calls and emails and more. Most communications with the customer are conducted virtually.
- Requirements: Excellent organizational, time-management and customer service skills.
- Average Salary: $18.80 per hour
- Job Duties: A translator helps people communicate in different languages by being able to speak and understand both languages. They act as a mediator, translating one language into another for the audience.
- Requirements: Fluency in at least two languages.
- Average Salary: $20.65 per hour
- Job Duties: Recommend product positioning approaches for new offerings, contribute to content marketing and brand awareness efforts, prepare marketing and advertising materials. Create and contribute to social media accounts clients. Advise clients on content marketing campaigns and product positioning logistics.
- Requirements: Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field. Experience executing successful marketing campaigns.
18. Personal shopper
- Average Salary: $21.08 per hour
- Job Duties: A personal shopper assists customers by guiding them along the shopping experience, providing feedback, recommendations and information about various products. While many work for department stores or companies, others are freelance and set their own schedules.
- Requirements: Excellent communication and customer service skills. Knowledgeable about products and brands.
- Average Salary: $22.43 per hour
- Job Duties: A freelancer works on their own schedule, providing paid services to customers for a particular skill or ability. Freelancers can include designers, writers, editors, photographers and more.
- Requirements: Good customer service skills and ability to provide work on a deadline.
- Average Salary: $24.17 per hour
- Job Duties: Tutors go over homework assignments with students in applicable subject areas. They might ask students about specific topics or subject areas that are giving them trouble or that warrant further exploration. In addition, tutors review recent test scores and work through problems or questions that the student did not answer correctly.
- Requirements: Excellent communication skills, reliable form of transportation, established subject matter proficiency and teaching certificate (preferred).
You can find a side job that’s right for you based on your interests, skills and availability. There are several options when looking for positions that can offer you additional incom