8 Certifications to Boost Your Data Analytics CareerSeptember 25, 2020
Data analytics is a growing field that measures the success of companies throughout various industries. It is a complex career field that is both an art and a science that takes skilled data analytics professionals with knowledge and expertise. When you enroll in a certification course, you can learn the fundamentals and gain the skills you need to grow in the data analytics and big data fields.
In this article, we will review the details and costs of some common data analytics and big data certifications.
Data analytics certifications
If you want to work with big data and data analytics, there are many certification options that can get you started. These certifications will help you gain experience and skills that may help you get a higher salary. Here are eight common certifications that can help you meet your career goals:
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
- Certified Analytics Professional
- Amazon Web Services Big Data Specialty Certification
- SAS Certified Data Scientist Using SAS 9
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
- EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
- MapR Certified Data Analyst
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Management and Analytics
1. Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
The Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences is offered either online or in-person through Columbia University’s Data Science Institute. This certification expands individuals career prospects by assisting candidates in the development of foundational data science skills. The required courses for this certification are: Algorithms for Data Science, Probability & Statistics, Machine Learning for Data Science, and Exploratory Data Analysis and Visualization.
Cost: $2,104 per credit for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Undergraduate degree
- Prior quantitative coursework
- Prior computer programming coursework
2. Certified Analytics Professional
The Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) credential is an independent validation that shows an individual’s expertise in the analytics process including, data through to methodology selection and model building, business problem framing, analytics problem framing and deployment and life cycle management. This certification must be renewed every three years.
Cost: $695. For INFORMS members the price is $495
- Complete and pass the CAP exam
- Adhere to the CAP Code of Ethics
3. Amazon Web Services (AWS) Big Data Specialty Certification
The AWS certification offers role-based certifications for roles such as, Cloud Practitioner, Architect, Developer, Operations roles and other specialty technical roles. This certification helps you to expand your range of technical skills and helps you advance your expertise in implementing and developing AWS services.
Cost: $300 registration fee
- Background in defining and creating AWS Big Data services with the ability to explain how this fits into the data life cycle
- Five years of hands-on experience in data analytics or a related field
- Experience in processing data by designing cost-effective architecture
- Pass a three hour multiple-choice exam
4. SAS Certified Data Scientist Using SAS 9
The SAS Certified Data Scientist Using SAS 9 credential shows how individuals can manipulate and gain insights from big data with various SAS and open source tools, make business recommendations with intricate learning models, and then situate models at scale using the SAS environment. This opens doors to employment opportunities by showing to employers how quickly you can learn.
Cost: Exam fee $180
Eligibility requirements: You must pass 5 exams that are a mix of multiple choice, short-answer and interactive questions. These five tests are:
- Predictive Modeling Using SAS Enterprise Miner 7, 13, or 14
- SAS Advanced Predictive Modeling
- SAS Text Analytics, Time Series, Experimentation and Optimization
- SAS Big Data Preparation, Statistics and Visual Exploration
- SAS Big Data Programming and Loading
5. Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
A CCA data analyst credential shows that you can prepare, structure, and analyze data in Cloudera’s CDH environment. You should carry out things like importing data from MySQL into Hadoop, creating and altering tables and making reports with certain queries.
- CCA Data Analyst Exam
6. EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
The EMC Data Science Associate (EMCDSA) certification establishes your ability to contribute to big data and data analytics projects. You’ll have the ability to deploy the data analytics lifecycle, reframe business challenges as analytics challenges, apply analytic techniques appropriately and use tools such as R and RStudio, in-database analytics, MapReduce/Hadoop and Window functions.
Cost: $5,000 for instructor-led. $600 for video instruction.
- A strong quantitative background
- Experience with a scripting language, such as Java, Perl, or Python (or R)
- Experience with SQL
- Data Science and Big Data Analytics Exam
7. MapR Certified Data Analyst
The MapR Certified Data Analyst credential shows an individual’s ability to perform analytics on large datasets using tools, including Apache Pig, Apache Hive and Apache Drill.
Cost: $250 for the exam
- Pass proctored MapR exam
- have prior knowledge of SQL queries and troubleshooting tasks
8. Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Management and Analytics
The MCSE provides individuals with a broad skill set in SQL administration, building enterprise-scale data solutions, and leveraging business intelligence data. It also may qualify you for jobs such as database designer, database analyst and business intelligence analyst.
Cost: $165 exam fee
Eligibility requirements: Before you become an MCSE you must have one of these seven certifications:
- MCSA in SQL Server 2012/2014
- SQL 2016 Database Administration
- Database Development
- BI Development
- Machine Learning
- BI Reporting or
- Data Engineering with Azure.
You must also pass one examination depending on the specialization you are interested in.