Data analytics is a growing and complex career field that measures the success of companies throughout various industries and requires a high level of skill, knowledge and expertise.
When you enroll in a certification course, you can learn the fundamentals and gain the skills you need to grow in the data analytics and big data fields.
In this article, we review the skills and competencies you should have to secure a job in data analytics and the top certifications in data analytics and big data that can help you learn them.
*Please note that none of the third parties mentioned in this article are affiliated with Indeed.
Data analytics skills and competencies to have
To be applicable for a career in data analytics and big data, you should be familiar with the following programs, languages and skill sets:
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Python and related programming languages
- Data visualization (especially, Tableau)
- Microsoft Excel
- Machine learning models/algorithms
- Building data sets
- Predictive modeling
- Data engineering/optimization
- Regression analysis
In-demand data analytics certifications
If you want to work with big data and data analytics, many certification options can get you started. These certifications will help you gain experience and skills that may help you get a higher salary. Here are eight common certifications that can help you meet your career goals:
- CompTIA Data+
- Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
- Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate
- SAS Certified Data Scientist
- Certified Analytics Professional (CAP)
- Dell EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
- Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Big Data Specialty Certification
1. CompTIA Data+
CompTIA Data+ certification offered by CompTIA is a course in beginner data analytics. This certification teaches you about the data analysis process, dataset reporting, data quality standards (and how to adhere to them), data mining, visualization, data concepts and environments and what data skills to have and how to improve them.
No formal prerequisites required
Recommended 18-24 months data analysis work experience
2. Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA) Data Analyst
A Cloudera Certified Associate data analyst credential shows that you can prepare, structure, and analyze data in Cloudera’s CDH environment. You should carry out things like importing data from MySQL into Hadoop, creating and altering tables and making reports with certain queries.
Pass CCA Data Analyst Exam
3. Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate
The Microsoft Certified: Data Analyst Associate certification provides individuals with a broad skill set data asset optimization through an introduction to Microsoft Power BI. It teaches how to clean data, build enterprise-scale data solutions and leverage business intelligence data. You will become competent in data visualization, preparation, modeling and analysis. It also may qualify you for jobs such as database designer, database analyst and business intelligence analyst.
Cost: $165 exam fee
- No formal requirements required
- Recommended: earn experience in designing and building scalable data models or
Recommended certifications in MCSA: BI Reporting and/or MCSA: SQL 2016
4. SAS Certified Data Scientist
The SAS Certified Data Scientist credential program offers three data science certifications: Data Curation Professional, Advanced Analytics Professional and AI & Machine Learning Professional. These certification programs teach you how to manipulate and gain insights from big data with various SAS and open source tools, make business recommendations with intricate learning models and then situate models at scale using the SAS environment.
- No formal requirements
- Recommended: experience with SAS Programming Basics and Data Manipulation Techniques
- Recommended: experience with SQL
Recommended: minimum six months of experience in mathematics and statistics
5. Certified Analytics Professional (CAP)
The Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) credential is an independent validation that shows an individual’s expertise in the analytics process including, data through to methodology selection and model building, business problem framing, analytics problem framing and deployment and life cycle management. This certification must be renewed every three years.
Cost: $695. For INFORMS members, the price is $495.
- Complete four-year degree.
- Required experience: 3 years with master’s degree or 5 years with bachelor’s degree or 7 years with any degree in unrelated area.
- Complete and pass the CAP exam.
- Adhere to the CAP Code of Ethics.
Confirm aptitude in soft skills.
6. Dell EMC Proven Professional Data Scientist Associate (EMCDSA)
The EMC Data Science Associate (EMCDSA) certification offered by Dell Technologies establishes your ability to contribute to big data and data analytics projects. You’ll have the ability to deploy the data analytics lifecycle, reframe business challenges as analytics challenges, apply analytic techniques appropriately and use tools such as R and RStudio, in-database analytics, MapReduce/Hadoop and Window functions.
Cost: $5,000 for instructor-led. $600 for video instruction.
- Complete minimum of bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, telecommunications, electronics and electricals or related field.
- Have a strong quantitative background.
- Have experience with a scripting language, such as Java, Perl, or Python (or R).
- Have experience with SQL.
Pass the associate level exam: DEA-7TT2 Associate Data Science and Big Data Analytics v2 Exam.
7. Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
The Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences is offered either online or in-person through Columbia University’s Data Science Institute.
This certification expands the individual's career prospects by assisting candidates in the development of foundational data science skills. The required courses for this certification are: Algorithms for Data Science, Probability & Statistics, Machine Learning for Data Science, and Exploratory Data Analysis and Visualization.
Cost: $2,104 per credit for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Undergraduate degree
- Prior quantitative coursework
Prior computer programming coursework
8. Amazon Web Services (AWS) Big Data Specialty Certification
The AWS Big Data Specialty certification offers role-based certifications for roles such as, Cloud Practitioner, Architect, Developer, Operations roles and other specialized technical roles. This certification helps you to expand your range of technical skills and potentially advance your expertise in implementing and developing AWS services.
Cost: $300 registration fee
- Background in defining and creating AWS Big Data services with the ability to explain how this fits into the data life cycle
- Five years of hands-on experience in data analytics or a related field
- Experience in processing data by designing cost-effective architecture
Pass a three-hour multiple-choice exam