What does an Account Executive do?
An account executive is responsible for client accounts in such fields as marketing, information technology (IT) or advertising. Account executives are also known as account handlers and sometimes sales representatives. They serve as an important link between their agency and the client company because they handle the sales relationship between the two firms.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as an Account Executive
- Meets with clients to discuss and solve their advertising, marketing or IT needs
- Works with clients to discover ways to win new business
- Devises campaign methods
- Works to convert prospects to clients
- Trains and supervises junior account officers
How much does an Account Executive make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a account executive is $70,397 per year in the United States and $20,000 commission per year.42.1k salaries reported, updated at September 21, 2023
Where can an Account Executive earn more?Compare salaries for Account Executives in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for an Account Executive
Is working as an account executive a part-time or full-time job?
Most account executives work full time. Depending on the company, they might be expected to start work early (in case clients are in different time zones) or work late (for example, to meet tight deadlines).
Can an account executive work from home?
Account executives generally do most of their work in the company's office so they can meet with clients, team members, and management. However, they can work from home if they have a quiet environment where they can take phone calls and a good computer set up.
What are the responsibilities of an account executive?
Account executives work in different industries and help to grow their companies by:
- Scouting and building relationships with new clients.
- Cultivating relationships with existing clients, closing sales, formulating sales strategies, and communicating product value to clients.
- Planning and coordinating account activity.