What does an Architect do?
Architects plan and design structures such as office buildings, schools, hospitals and stadiums. They normally work from an office, but will often need to visit work sites, planning offices and local government offices to obtain permits. Architects works closely with civil engineers who make sure their structures are safe and meet required standards.
Working as an Architect
An architect's job includes the following:
- Gathering structural requirements and sketching an initial schematic design
- Determining where the plumbing, electrical and mechanical elements will go within a design
- Identifying and solving potential safety issues, zoning problems and local planning regulations and restrictions
- Bidding for projects or negotiating a price for a proposed project
- Working with builders and construction managers, providing additional drawings, answering questions and resolving issues
How much does an Architect make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a architect is $106,669 per year in the United States. 2.5k salaries reported, updated at August 9, 2022.
Where can an Architect earn more?Compare salaries for Architects in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for an Architect
Is it hard to get a job as an architect?
Getting a good job as an architect takes some research and experience to target firms where you would like to work. Also, it depends on various factors like education, skills, and experience. Companies prefer to hire an experienced architect, however, universities and research labs can hire inexperienced architects too.
What are the different types of architecture careers?
The following are some of the different types of architects:
- Landscape architect
- Commercial or public architect
- Interior design architect
- Residential architect
- Green design architect
- Industrial architect
Do I need other building experts apart from an architect for a building project?
Every project is different and has different needs. An architect will be able to educate the client and give recommendations to hire other professionals and experts needed for the project, for example, a structural engineer or ecologist.