What does a Barista do?
A barista is the main person behind the counter at a coffee shop who prepares espresso-based beverages and other various coffee drinks. Baristas promote coffee consumption by engaging and educating customers. Baristas play an essential role in running a coffee business and possess valuable customer service skills.
Working as a Barista
- Having a friendly attitude with customers and assisting them with the different types of drinks on the coffee shop menu
- Learning a variety of coffee recipes such as lattes, espressos, and cappuccinos
- Knowing how to maintain and operate brewing equipment, such as a coffee bean grinder and espresso machine
- Helping to keep up the efficiency of the coffee shop by managing inventory and maintaining the functionality of beverage machines with regular repairs
- Making sure all ingredients and food supply are readily available for purchase and consumption by customers
How much does a Barista make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a barista is $14.18 per hour in the United States and $20.00 tips per day.38.3k salaries reported, updated at October 3, 2022
Where can a Barista earn more?Compare salaries for Baristas in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Barista
What makes the role of a barista so important?
Having a good barista is essential to the success of a coffee shop. Baristas can boost the reputation of a coffee shop, make signature coffee drinks, build relationships with customers and provide recommendations based on familiarity with customer preferences.
How can I know if I am being paid fairly as a barista?
If you’re unsure about what salary is appropriate for a barista, visit Indeed's Salary Calculator to get a free, personalized pay range based on your location, industry and experience.
Where did the term barista come from originally?
"Barista" is an Italian word that, in Italy, refers to a general server of drinks, including alcohol. In the United States, "barista" is the title for someone who only makes and serves coffee.