What does a Business Analyst do?
Business analysts identify the business change needs and recommend solutions in a way all stakeholders understand. The business analyst role is connected to the IT sector as their solutions involve improved technology. With experience, they become a project manager. Alternate job titles are: business architect, enterprise analyst, functional analyst and business system analyst.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a Business Analyst
Completing some of the tasks required of a business analyst will mean you will need to have knowledge of the following:
- Collecting information to identify needs, analyze and document the requirements for businesses
- Solving business problems and designing a technical solution
- Assessing the impact of change; perform risk analysis to evaluate possible dangers related to the implementation
- Translating company requirements in a format that stakeholders can easily understand (user cases, diagrams)
- Manage the project: plan, communicate with developers, hold meetings to follow up and implement the solution
How much does a Business Analyst make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a business analyst is $84,713 per year in the United States and $3,500 cash bonus per year.10.8k salaries reported, updated at September 29, 2023
Where can a Business Analyst earn more?Compare salaries for Business Analysts in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Business Analyst
What is the main role of a business analyst?
The main role of a business analyst is to facilitate change where the business needs it. They determine the requirements, communicates them to the organization, and implements technology solutions cost-effectively.
Is a business analyst an IT position?
A business analyst position is closely related to IT and, therefore, the candidate for that position needs technical skills and computer knowledge to develop the best solutions. In some companies, it is considered a technical job role within the IT department.
Can business analysts work from home?
Business analysts can sometimes work from home, depending on their current work assignments and company policy.