What does a Certified Medical Assistant do?
Certified medical assistants are in high demand throughout the healthcare community. This job requires an individual to assist the physician with day-to-day patient examinations, have an understanding of client charts and medical coding for billing, as well as being able to perform administrative and clinical duties as required by the medical facility.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a Certified Medical Assistant
Certified medical assistant jobs may require a combination of administrative and clinical duties.
Some of those administrative duties may involve the following:
- Answering phones and scheduling patients
- Examination room prep for upcoming appointments
- Recording patient medical information, test results and vital signs according to physician requirements
- Performing medical coding for billing purposes
Some of the clinical duties may include the following:
- Prepping patients for tests and procedures, as per physician and medical facility requirements
- Going over physician-recommended treatment plans with patients
- Collecting specimens
- Changing dressings
How much does a Certified Medical Assistant make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a certified medical assistant is $19.42 per hour in the United States. 45.8k salaries reported, updated at November 25, 2023
Where can a Certified Medical Assistant earn more?Compare salaries for Certified Medical Assistants in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Certified Medical Assistant
Can you be happy pursuing a career as a certified medical assistant?
Certified medical assistants deal with the public directly, so they need to be dependable, communicate well, actively listen, and solve problems efficiently. They should be well organized and able to multi-task effectively with attention to details because they will be handling numerous clients personal health records throughout the day. You can be happy as a certified medical assistant if you're comfortable and feel challenged by these elements of the job.
What is a certified medical assistant?
Certified medical assistants usually work in physicians offices, clinics or other healthcare facilities. Their primary responsibility is to look after any of the physician support services which help ensure medical facilities are run smoothly.
What are the duties of a certified medical assistant?
Duties of a certified medical assistant are :
- Perform administrative tasks which involve - answering phones, completing paperwork, scheduling appointments and processing health insurance claims
- Maintain patient history
- Prepare patients for treatment
- Take a patient's vital signs prior to treatment.