What does a Cloud Engineer do?
A Cloud Engineer is responsible for the design, management, and maintenance of a cloud infrastructure. The duties also include following best practices and ensuring the security of the network. A Cloud Engineer has multiple roles and needs to have a well-rounded knowledge of software development, scripting languages, and a background in designing web services in the cloud.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a Cloud Engineer
A Cloud Engineer is an IT professional with responsibilities that include:
- Planning and designing cloud computing applications and services
- Assisting with the deployment of cloud-based infrastructures
- Programming code for the cloud systems in languages such as C++, Java, and Python.
- Developing a support system to keep the cloud systems secure and creating a system to interconnect all devices within a company.
- Implementing a disaster recovery plan and a business continuity plan to prevent data loss.
How much does a Cloud Engineer make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a cloud engineer is $124,554 per year in the United States. 3.8k salaries reported, updated at November 25, 2023
Where can a Cloud Engineer earn more?Compare salaries for Cloud Engineers in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Cloud Engineer
Where do cloud engineers work?
A cloud engineer can work almost anywhere. They typically work at tech companies or large, established organizations that have a large IT or cloud infrastructure. Amazon and Google continue to dominate the market and have some of the biggest opportunities for jobs.
Can cloud engineers work from home?
Cloud engineers can sometimes work from home, depending on their current work assignments and company policy.
Where are the biggest markets for cloud engineering jobs?
Cloud computing continues to grow, and the global market for services is exploding. Areas of the country such as New York and San Fransisco with the major tech hubs have the largest markets for cloud engineers.