How to become a Cook
Becoming a cook does not require any formal education. However, many employers prefer hiring cooks with the right blend of formal knowledge and experience. Below are some distinct requirements that top-notch restaurants insist on.
- Obtain a two-year or four-year culinary degree. Some employers, however, only require that a cook has proficiency in food safety, hospitality, advanced cooking, and sanitation. Covering these units takes barely two years.
- Acquire advanced training to have a good grasp of skills needed for fast-paced work environments. Once absorbed, the new hire can enroll for apprenticeship programs for technical training alongside the on-the-job experience. The minimum entry point for such programs is a high school diploma or its equivalence. A cook also needs to undergo extensive training under a chef to gain culinary education that is equivalent to a degree.
What skills help Cooks find jobs?
- Restaurant Experience
- Basic Math
- Culinary Experience
- Food Preparation Experience
- Serving Experience
- Kitchen Experience
- Meal Preparation
- Food Production Experience
- Food Service
Career progression for Cook
Education levels for Cooks
Expected salary by experience
Common qualifications for Cooks
- Food Handler Certification
- Food Safety Certification
- First Aid Certification
- Driver's License
- Registered Dietitian
- CPR Certification
- Bartender License
- Certified Dental Assistant
- Fire Safety Certification
- OLCC Service Permit
- Child Development Associate Certification
Frequently asked questions
Do you need any specific certifications to become a cook?
While it is not mandatory to get a certification to be a cook but obtaining ServSafe Food Handler certificate is recommended if you wish to work in a restaurant.
What soft skills do cooks need to possess?
Set of skills that make a high profile cook:
- The ability to manage kitchen roles, create and implement menus
- Possessing dexterity and organisational skills
- Attention to detail and fast-paced decision-making skills
- Culinary expertise along with high creativity
- Basic knife skills and multitasking capability
Do you have to go to school to be a cook?
No, there is no formal educational required to be a cook.