1. Home
  2. Career Explorer
  3. Customer Service Representative
  4. Skills
Content has loaded

How to become a Customer Service Representative

Customer service representatives typically need a high school diploma or equivalent and receive on-the-job training to learn the specific skills needed for the job. They should be good at communicating and interacting with people and should be adept at using computers.

Customer service representatives usually receive short-term on-the-job training, which typically lasts 2 to 4 weeks. Those who work in finance and insurance may need several months of training to learn complicated financial regulations.

Customer service representatives who provide information about finance and insurance may need a state license. Although licensing requirements vary by state, they usually include passing an exam. Some employers and organizations provide training for these exams.

Source: The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)

How to become: Call Center Representative · Administrative Assistant · Sales Representative · Customer Support Representative · Customer Care Specialist
These qualifications are required: Series 65 · CPR Certification · Insurance Producer License
Is this useful?

What skills help Customer Service Representatives find jobs?

  • Automotive diagnostics
  • Basic math
  • Bilingual
  • Cash handling
  • Cashiering
  • Communication skills
  • Computer literacy
  • Computer skills
  • Customer service
  • Customer support
  • Data entry
  • English
Is this useful?

Career progression for Customer Service Representative

Education levels for Customer Service Representatives

Based on the requirements of Customer Service Representative job openings on Indeed in the United States within the last three years.
required level of educationpercent of job openings
High school diploma or GED66.8%
Associate's degree15.8%
Bachelor's degree14.9%
Master's degree1.8%
Middle school education0.5%
Doctoral degree0.1%
High school diploma or GED0.0%
Bachelor's degree0.0%
Bachelor's degree0.0%
Is this useful?

Expected salary by experience

Based on resume data from Indeed users who reported working as a Customer Service Representative in the United States within the last three years.
Years of experienceAnnual salary in USD
0 - 4$22,500
4 - 8$25,200
8 - 12$27,100
12 - 16$28,200
16 - 20$28,800
20 - 24$29,000
Is this useful?

Common qualifications for Customer Service Representatives

Explore popular schools to earn these qualifications

CPR Certification

National CPR Foundation
910 reviews
Explore other and more common qualifications
  • certificationLife Insurance License
  • certificationFood Handler Certification
  • certificationCertified Notary Public
  • certificationInsurance Producer License
  • certificationHVAC Certification
  • certificationProperty & Casualty License
Is this useful?

Career insights

Frequently searched careers

Registered Nurse

Police Officer

Software Engineer

Customer Service Representative

Administrative Assistant

Truck Driver


Front Desk Agent

Nursing Assistant

Dental Hygienist

Real Estate Agent

Licensed Practical Nurse