What does a Delivery Driver do?
Everything you buy, from groceries to a new car, will have made its way to the store or showroom in the care of a delivery driver. But there's more to the job than moving things from one place to another and it can be a truly interesting career.
Working as a Delivery Driver
- Loading and transporting items on behalf of a variety of clients and delivering them safely to their destination
- Planning routes including scheduling essential stops, avoiding traffic and minimizing delays
- Knowledge of all relevant legislation
- Using a range of vehicles from cars and motorcycles to trucks, transporters, and forklifts
- Preparing and completing documentation to ensure that each consignment is documented properly
How much does a Delivery Driver make in the United States?
Average base salaryData source tooltip for average base salary.
The average salary for a delivery driver is $16.51 per hour in the United States and $50.00 tips per day.
Frequently asked questions
What are the key skills for delivery drivers?
The key skills for a delivery driver are:
- Being organised and methodical
- Customer service
- Great driving skills and knowledge of traffic rules
- Great concentration and time management skills
- Discipline and patience
- Ability to work alone
- Good communication skills
- Attention to details
Can delivery drivers choose their own working hours?
Yes, delivery drivers can choose their own working hours if they are independent contractors.
Are there any physical requirements to be a delivery driver?
Yes, delivery drivers should have good strength as manual handling is required during loading and unloading of consignments.