How to become a Director of Operations
To work as a director of operations, the following may be required of you:
- Start by obtaining a bachelor's degree in business administration or similar field.
- Gain five or more years experience managing a company's human resources, operations, strategies or finances department.
- Possess tested ability of managing budgets in a similar role.
- Have strong principled leadership abilities.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess proficient operational and financial intelligence.
- Have the ability to make projections three or more years into the future.
Upgrade your resume
Get an expert review of your resume.
What skills help Director of Operationses find jobs?
- Analysis skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
- Continuous improvement
- Customer service
- Financial acumen
- Human resources
Career progression for Director of Operations
Education levels for Director of Operationses
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High school diploma or GED||2.0%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
|0 - 4||$61,700|
|4 - 8||$62,700|
|8 - 12||$74,700|
|12 - 16||$89,000|
|16 - 20||$95,200|
|20 - 24||$99,900|
Common qualifications for Director of Operationses
Common questions about career advices for a Director of Operations
How can I improve my operations management skills as a Director of Operations?
The following will be a list of improvements you can do to improve your operations management skills:
- Reduce inventory as much as possible
- Build an open environment for staff to operate in
- Reduce material movement
- Maintain flexibility and be open to fresh ideas
- Utilize a sequential flow pattern in the process
- Improve communication and interpersonal skills
- Be knowledgeable about technological trends
What are the soft skills required in order to be a Director of Operations?
The soft skills needed in order to be a Director of Operations are:
- Excellent motivational skills
- Very good negotiation skills
- Unique organizational skills
- Awareness of the needs of clients
- Excellent communication skills