What does an English Teacher do?
An English teacher educates students in reading, writing, speaking and studying literature in the English language. English teachers typically work in both middle and high schools, and they develop lessons around literacy, writing, grammar, vocabulary and more.
Working as an English Teacher
Depending on the education level they teach, the daily work of an English teacher can include:
- Preparing daily lessons and relevant materials
- Assigning homework to students to reinforce what they learn in the classroom
- Correcting homework assignments and enabling students to learn from any mistakes
- Teaching students English lessons in line with standards set out by the relevant curriculum
- Creating a positive classroom atmosphere while also maintaining discipline among students
How much does an English Teacher make in the United States?
Frequently asked questions
Can English teachers work from home?
Covid-19 has prompted many companies to adopt remote working practices. As such, working from home is technically possible for english teacher at this time. Following the pandemic, companies may opt to retain their work from home policies in order to provide flexibility for their workforce.
What is the interview like to become an English teacher?
People interviewing for English teacher roles need to do a standard question and answer interview. Example interview questions:
- Why did you become a teacher?
- Why do you want to work at this school?
- What kinds of qualities do students look for in teachers?
- What personality traits do teachers need to be successful?
- How do you approach discipline and what role does it play in learning?
What hours do English teachers work?
English teachers work during school hours, which may vary across different schools. English teachers may also work some evenings and weekends to grade papers and prepare lessons. Most English teachers do not work during the summer.