What does a Football Coach do?
A football coach teaches athletes fundamental football skills through training sessions and practices to improve athletes' skills, stamina and techniques. In addition to developing the individual skills of their athletes, they also need to instill in their athletes the importance of a competitive spirit, teamwork and good sportsmanship. Football coaches establish plays to practice, determine game strategies and evaluate opponents.
Working as a Football Coach
Specific duties can vary from position to position, but football coaches typically do the following:
- Analyze the weaknesses and strengths of opposing teams and individual athletes
- Call plays during games, make strategic decisions and make player substitutions
- Instruct athletes on football rules, proper techniques, game strategy and sportsmanship
- Maintain athletes' and opponents' performance records
- Locate, recruit and arrange and offer incentives to potential athletes
How much does a Football Coach make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a football coach is $18.18 per hour in the United States. 187 salaries reported, updated at July 28, 2022.
Where can a Football Coach earn more?Compare salaries for Football Coaches in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Football Coach
What hours do football coaches have?
Work hours fluctuate for football coaches depending on their position but can include evenings, weekends and holidays with extra hours being required during the football season.