What does a Front End Developer do?
Front end developers implement the visual and audio elements of a web design and include them in a web format. They build web products and develop user experiences. Typically, these professionals work in office settings with back end developers, who implement the elements of web products that cannot be seen by users.
Working as a Front End Developer
This position involves several key responsibilities, such as:
- Designing or editing websites or web applications
- Developing code that translates design wireframes into visual elements of a web product
- Collaborating with UI/UX designers, web designers, back end developers or hosting services to create effective user experiences
- Creating reusable code that can be used for future projects
- Optimizing front end elements for scalability in areas such as loading speed and performance
How much does a Front End Developer make in the United States?
Average base salary
Most common benefits
The average salary for a front end developer is $92,930 per year in the United States and $4,500 cash bonus per year.4.9k salaries reported, updated at May 21, 2022.
Where can a Front End Developer earn more?Compare salaries for Front End Developers in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Front End Developer
Can front end developers work from home?
Front end developers can sometimes work from home, depending on their current work assignments and company policy.
What is the job outlook for front end developers?
Employment opportunities for web developers, which include both front end developers and back end developers, are growing at an above-average rate, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
How does a front end developer differ from a web designer?
A front end developer is responsible for the design and development of a web product's front end elements while a web designer is only responsible for the design.