What does a General Manager do?
A general manager or GM's role is to ensure that all aspects of a business are operating smoothly. General managers make decisions on many important fronts from marketing and staffing to customer satisfaction. Among their list of responsibilities is taking care of the financial wellbeing of a business, such as making sure budgets are being kept and profits are made.
Working as a General Manager
The daily job responsibilities of a general manager can very based on the type of business they oversee (i.e. hotel, sports team), but may include:
- Hiring of staff and staff performance evaluations. Also, optimizing staff wellbeing within the business and addressing staff concerns.
- Training other managers and high-level employees within the business.
- Ensure customer satisfaction and build quality relationships with customers.
- Increase revenue and manage the business's financial output. Oversee spending and budgeting.
- Strategize about the business's overall success and seek opportunities for its growth.
- Send status reports to higher level management or CEO.
How much does a General Manager make in the United States?
Average base salaryData source tooltip for average base salary.
The average salary for a general manager is $53,439 per year in the United States, $10,000 cash bonus per year, $17,750 commission per year and $7,500 profit sharing per year.
Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between a CEO and a general manager?
A CEO (Chief Executive Officer) is the highest attainable position within a business, and usually, the person that a general manager must report to. The responsibilities of these roles are very similar in terms of high-level decision making regarding the success of the business, although the CEO has the final word on many issues affecting the business as a whole.
Is a general manager higher than a manager?
Yes, there can be many levels of management working beneath the supervision of the GM. These managers usually perform similar duties to that of the general manager, such as overseeing staff and implementing strategies for the business' success.