What does a House Cleaner do?
A house cleaner is someone whose job it is to clean residences such as a house or apartment. Typical responsibilities belonging to a house cleaner include laundry, vacuuming and washing the dishes. House cleaners can work as independent contractors or as part of a company.
Working as a House Cleaner
A house cleaner's list of duties varies based on the scope of work that was discussed with the homeowner, but generally, daily tasks would include:
- Vacuum carpets, mop and disinfect floors, dust furniture.
- Thoroughly scrub bathrooms, including sink, toilet and bathtub.
- Clean the kitchen, the tasks of which include washing and drying the dishes and putting them away neatly, wiping and polishing all countertops, washing out the sink and emptying the dishwasher. Ensure any groceries are put away, and that the fridge is smelling fresh with all expired foods tossed out.
- Empty garbage bins throughout the home, and replace with fresh garbage bags.
- Sort laundry for washing and drying. Iron, fold and put away clothing in the appropriate locations, including any towels and kitchen cloths.
- Dust, wipe down, and polish windows and window coverings, appliances, railings, coffee tables and chairs and any other areas that need attention.
- Replace light bulbs.
- Remove stains on upholstery.
- Use cleaning products appropriately and to their specific purpose. Ensure safe cleaning practices by wearing gloves where necessary, and by mixing cleaning chemicals according to instruction in a well-ventilated area.
How much does a House Cleaner make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a house cleaner is $17.19 per hour in the United States. 25.6k salaries reported, updated at September 13, 2022
Where can a House Cleaner earn more?Compare salaries for House Cleaners in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a House Cleaner
What is a house cleaner known as?
House cleaner or housekeeper are the most appropriate terms for the profession. These references imply respect, in addition to acknowledging the enormous responsibility that comes with the upkeep of a client's home. Maid and cleaning lady are also recognizable terms but considered to be old fashioned and in some cases sexist.
How can I know if I am being paid fairly as a house cleaner?
If you’re unsure about what salary is appropriate for a house cleaner, visit Indeed's Salary Calculator to get a free, personalized pay range based on your location, industry and experience.
What is included in a basic house cleaning as a house cleaner?
A basic house cleaner addresses all aspects of a home, including the specific cleaning requirements needed in the bedrooms, bathrooms, living spaces and kitchen. Vacuuming all carpets and cleaning the floors are among the most primary duties. There's also dusting, polishing windows and mirrors and removing all garbage.