What does a Housekeeper do?
A housekeeper manages the affairs of a household, ensuring cleanliness and organization. Duties may include cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping, as well as child and pet care. A housekeeper may live in the household or separately.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a Housekeeper
The duties of a housekeeper vary by employer and place of work. Housekeeping at a hotel versus a small household of four will differ in certain areas. The general tasks of a housekeeper include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintaining the general cleanliness of the home
- Managing the laundry
- Removing garbage and recycling
- Grocery shopping and meal preparation
- Basic maintenance of the home exterior, such as sweeping the front porch, cleaning patio furniture and watering the plants
- Accepting mail and packages, supervising and liaising with tradespeople and contractors while the homeowner is away
- Keeping household supplies stocked and up to date
- House- and pet-sitting
- Running errands for the homeowners. Sometimes childcare is requested, though this is usually reserved for a nanny
- Basic bookkeeping and management of household expenses
How much does a Housekeeper make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a housekeeper is $14.84 per hour in the United States. 101k salaries reported, updated at December 7, 2023
Where can a Housekeeper earn more?Compare salaries for Housekeepers in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Housekeeper
What is the difference between a maid, a housekeeper and a house cleaner?
Maid is another, old-fashioned, word for housekeeper, and the terms are sometimes used interchangeably. Both a maid and a housekeeper are hired by the household who provides everything needed for the job of cleaning and maintenance. A housekeeper (or maid's) role may extend further in responsibility than that of a house cleaner, to the realm of childcare and house sitting. There are also live-in housekeepers who provide care for the family and the household on a full-time basis. House cleaners are hired on an hourly or daily basis and usually bring their own cleaning products.