What does a HVAC Technician do?
An HVAC technician deals with the repair, maintenance and installation of a home or business's heating and cooling systems, including refrigeration. HVAC technicians, sometimes referred to as HVACR, are trained to update units for increased energy efficiency and performance, and to meet the most current government regulations.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a HVAC Technician
Some of the regular tasks of an HVAC technician may include:
- Interacting with customers or homeowners and explaining to them how their heating and cooling systems work
- Using customer service skills to sell HVAC add-ons or services to customers and encouraging them to schedule regular maintenance checks or to sign up for company maintenance service programs
- Assessing homes and businesses to determine the most appropriate HVAC system that will meet their needs
- Utilizing the acquired technical skills to install air conditioning units and heating systems, and ensure all units are to code
- Providing regular cleaning and maintenance service
- Identifying potential problems and suggesting solutions
- Recommending potential energy efficiency options for customers
- Maintaining product certifications and training
How much does a HVAC Technician make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a hvac technician is $27.57 per hour in the United States and $6,750 overtime per year.65.3k salaries reported, updated at November 27, 2023
Where can a HVAC Technician earn more?Compare salaries for HVAC Technicians in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a HVAC Technician
Do HVAC technicians make good money?
Generally speaking, yes HVAC technicians do make good money. The United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics reports that the demand for HVAC technicians is on the rise. With urban sprawl growing to accommodate a booming population, the services of HVAC are required now more than ever.
How many hours do HVAC technicians work in a week?
HVAC technicians usually work 40 hours a week for 8 hours each day.