How to become an Insurance Agent
To become an insurance agent, you can learn bookkeeping and organizational skills. You can learn how to organize meetings with new and existing clients.
- Earn a degree: Most Insurance agent job vacancies only ask for the degree of a diploma certificate in Business Management, mathematics, economics/ statistics, and any other field that relates to it. A bachelor's degree in a field that relates to the job position
- Gain industry experience: He/ she must have a minimum of three years working in the insurance industry. One must prove to have tolerance and a friendly approach to problem-solving.
- Be able to get a driver's license and pass a background check: You may also need a valid driving license. Most employers will request proof of a background check and consider an applicant's criminal history.
What skills help Insurance Agents find jobs?
- Administrative experience
- Analysis skills
- Communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Computer skills
- Customer service
- Customer support
- Financial services
- Insurance sales
Career progression for Insurance Agent
Education levels for Insurance Agents
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High school diploma or GED||52.0%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
|0 - 4||$30,700|
|4 - 8||$34,400|
|8 - 12||$37,500|
|12 - 16||$40,400|
|16 - 20||$42,400|
|20 - 24||$43,100|
Common qualifications for Insurance Agents
- Driver's License
- Insurance Producer License
- Life Insurance License
- Medical License
- Property & Casualty License
- Series 6
Common questions about career advices for an Insurance Agent
How long does it take to become a life insurance agent?
It takes around 50 hours of training from a training institution to become an insurance agent. However, in the case of getting a license, it requires to complete 75 hours of training.
What skills are needed to be an insurance agent?
Below are the skills needed to be an insurance agent :
- Positive attitude
- Great communication
- Customer service
- Quick learning
- Patience and persistence
Is becoming an insurance agent a good choice for those transitioning to a new career?
Yes, becoming an insurance agent can be a good career choice for individuals making a switch to a different career. The barriers to entry are low and it isn't considered difficult to obtain a state license.