How to become a Network Engineer
There are several steps you can take to help you obtain a position as a network engineer.
1. Understand the typical requirements: Read the job listings for this position in the geographic area that you wish to work in to understand what most employers require.
2. Pursue an educational credential: Usually, employers require a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field for this position, so focus on gaining this qualification if necessary.
3. Gain work experience: You could be eligible for a higher salary and a better job with relevant work experience. Consider working while you study to gain work experience in maintaining a computer network and to improve your job prospects.
4. Improve your skills: There are several hard skills needed for this job such as proficiency in using Active Directory and the Domain Name System. Gain the skills you need for this role through work experience, research, volunteering or getting a skill certification.
5. Prepare for a satisfactory interview: Use free online resources to develop a professional resume, respond to an interview request properly, answer interview questions effectively and negotiate for a good salary.
What skills help Network Engineers find jobs?
- Network Engineering
- Computer Networking
- Routing Protocols
- Cisco ASA
- Load Balancing
- Network Administration
Career progression for Network Engineer
Education levels for Network Engineers
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High School Diploma or GED||5.3%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
Common qualifications for Network Engineers
- CompTIA Security+
- IAT Level II
- CompTIA Network+
- CCNA Security
Frequently asked questions
Can I become a network engineer with a high school diploma?
Employers prefer a bachelor's degree for the network engineer position. However, when combined with an industry-relevant skill certification and work experience, a high school diploma could be sufficient for some employers.
What skill certification could improve my employability as a network engineer?
A skill certification such as Network+ from CompTIA can improve your employability and help you to develop the hard skills needed for network engineers.
What are the main soft skills needed for network engineers?
Verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills and time management are the main soft skills needed for network engineers.