What does an Outside Sales Representative do?
An outside sales representative is a sales professional who meets with target customers in person. The job of an outside sales representative can be more high-ranking than someone with inside sales roles. The outside sales representative usually meets with prospective buyers without the need to be accompanied by any senior management staff of the company. Outside sales representatives usually do extensive sales presentations and attend trade shows.
Working as an Outside Sales Representative
- Generating sales leads for the company
- Ensuring sales goals are met or exceeded
- Negotiating contracts with potential customers
- Organizing weekly and monthly sales reports
- Attending trade shows and making extensive sales presentations
How much does an Outside Sales Representative make in the United States?
Average base salaryData source tooltip for average base salary.
The average salary for a outside sales representative is $76,257 per year in the United States and $20,000 commission per year.
Frequently asked questions
How do I sell better as an outside sales representative?
To sell better as an outside sales representative:
- Find out your work identity and stick to it.
- Have strong knowledge of what you are selling.
- Use a sales process you can measure.
- Be an active listener to customer requests.
- Be diligent.
- Learn to do effective follow up with sales leads.
Can outside sales representatives work from home?
Outside sales representatives typically meet face-to-face with potential business, making a work from home environment uncommon. However, in the wake of the global coronavirus pandemic, many outside sales representatives may find themselves needing to work from home. With a quiet home office and video conference technology, outside sales reps should be able to continue their work.
What is required to be an outside sales representative?
To become an outside sales representative, the following are required of you:
- A basic high school diploma if you are not selling technical products.
- A bachelor's degree in marketing or a related field if you are selling technical or sensitive products.
- On-the-job experience working with an experienced manager in the company.
- Learning all you need to know about the sale process and dynamics.
- Be hardworking.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.