How to become an Outside Sales Representative
To work as an outside sales representative, the following are required of you:
- A high school diploma is the basic education required for an entry-level position as an outside sales representative, especially if you're required to sell nontechnical products.
- Companies selling other sensitive or industry-specific products may require a bachelor's degree in a specific course of study.
- You're required to learn many sales techniques on the job.
- After you've worked with experienced managers for an allotted time, you'll work independently.
- You must be committed to excellent customer service.
- You must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- You should become a certified sales professional.
What skills help Outside Sales Representatives find jobs?
- Outside Sales
- Sales Experience
- B2B Sales
- CRM Software
- Cold Calling
- Time Management
- Territory Sales
- Territory Management
- Business Development
- Account Management
Career progression for Outside Sales Representative
Education levels for Outside Sales Representatives
Expected salary by experience
Common qualifications for Outside Sales Representatives
- Driver's License
- Doubles/Triples Endorsement
- Life Insurance License
- Firearms License
- HDI Certification
- Real Estate License
- Non-CDL Class C
- Cosmetology License
- Property & Casualty License
- TWIC Card
- Pest Control License
Frequently asked questions
What are the best sales certifications for outside sales representatives?
The best sales certifications for outside sales representatives are:
- Certified Inside Sales Professional
- Certified Professional Sales Person
- SPIN Selling
- Challenger Development Program
- Certified Sales Leadership Professional
- HubSpot Inbound Sales
- RISE Up Sales Certifications
- Consultative Sales Certification
How do I become a better outside sales representative?
To become a better outside sales representative:
- Set sales goals and work hard to meet or exceed them.
- Understand sales are a process to be followed.
- Measure every step you take while at work.
- Identify the right people and sell to them.
- Embrace the idea of selling as a team.
Is an outside sales representative job a good career?
An outside sales representative career is a very rewarding one. Very good sales representatives are seldom out of work. Companies that sell products always require the services of successful sales representatives to sell more of their products.