How to become a Painter
There are no academic requirements to work as a painter. However, a high school diploma can be a good start. You can get training through an apprenticeship program offered by a trade school or a union. There may also be the opportunity to learn the skills and methods on the job.
What skills help Painters find jobs?
- Auto Painting
- Drywall Experience
- Auto Body Repair
- Airless Paint Spraying
- Basic Math
- Hand Tools
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Construction Experience
- Human Resources
Career progression for Painter
Education levels for Painters
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High School Diploma or GED||96.3%|
|Middle School Education||0.0%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
Common qualifications for Painters
- Driver's License
- OSHA 10
- Airframe & Powerplant License
- Non-CDL Class C
- Forklift Certification
- ASE Automobile Service Consultant Certification
- ASE Certification
- Confined Space Certification
- OSHA 30
- CDL A
- GM Certification
Frequently asked questions
What are the skills required to work as a painter?
The following job skills are required to work as a painter:
- Excellent customer service, because you will be working with clients and this requires you to be pleasant and polite
- Good color vision is also a required skill. You must be able to work with different colors and ensure that they constant throughout a job
- Good attention to details is also an important skill a painter must have. They may have to ensure that excess paint and stains are cleaned up after each painting work
- Painters must have good stamina because they may have to stand for a long time to complete jobs most times
Is it a good career choice to be a painter?
It can be a very rewarding career choice to become a painter because you will be able to learn some business management skills and strategies along the line. Field painters will have the opportunity to learn good customer relations because they will be relating directly with lots of clients.