How to become a Prep Cook
A prep cook is a manual job and anyone interested in the position can get a job in the field at a restaurant or hotel where they can receive on the job training in the kitchen. Alternatively, one can be trained at a community college, vocational college, or a cooking school and get a prep cook certification. That equips one with skills on food preparation and handling.
What skills help Prep Cooks find jobs?
- Basic math
- Communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Computer skills
- Culinary experience
- Customer service
Career progression for Prep Cook
Education levels for Prep Cooks
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High school diploma or GED||84.6%|
|Middle school education||1.7%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
|0 - 4||$20,100|
|4 - 8||$21,900|
|8 - 12||$22,900|
|12 - 16||$22,900|
|16 - 20||$23,000|
|20 - 24||$21,900|
Common qualifications for Prep CooksExplore popular schools to earn these qualifications
Common questions about career advices for a Prep Cook
What other positions are similar to a prep cook?
Positions similar to a prep cook are:
- Short order cooks which work in fast-food restaurants, cafes and diners and make foods that require fewer culinary skills to prepare, like sandwiches. fries and burgers.
- Line cooks which work at a single workstation in restaurants and are divided according to types of foods prepared.
How can a prep cook advance their career?
A prep cook can advance their career by completing further education such as a bachelor's or associate's degree. Before continuing further education, they should ensure the American Culinary Federation certifies them and verifies the courses as high-quality culinary education.
What skills should a prep cook have?
Skills required to be a prep cook:
- Possess knowledge of the health and safety rules in the kitchen
- Have the ability to stay calm under stress
- Be manually dexterous to operate tools in the kitchen
- Have excellent communication skills and be a team player