What does a Product Designer do?
A product designer uses their technical knowledge and creative design skills to design, create and test products. Product designers can work in most major industries to create all kinds of products, from technology to furniture and office supplies. While some designers may improve existing products to produce better looking, better working or more affordable results, others might work individually or with a team to design entirely new products.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a Product Designer
Depending on the industry and their experience, a product designer may:
- Assess and work with a design brief used for design projects.
- Create and make presentations for potential clients or management.
- Develop unique ideas by researching competing products.
- Work with design models and order samples.
- Produce reports and communicate progress to the design team and management.
- Assess feedback and modify product design ideas.
- Research markets and analyze consumer trends.
How much does a Product Designer make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a product designer is $121,086 per year in the United States. 2.8k salaries reported, updated at September 25, 2023
Where can a Product Designer earn more?Compare salaries for Product Designers in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Product Designer
What is the difference between a product designer and an industrial designer?
A product designer is someone who creates solutions to design prompts and problems. Depending on the job and industry, a product designer can create their own product or improve upon a product's current design. In comparison, an industrial designer can create products while also understanding the manufacturing process behind the design. An industrial designer can be a product designer as well, and many product designers increase their skills and knowledge to work in the industrial design field.
What kinds of design tools and software are used in product design?
Some popular types of design software and tools include:
- Vector-based design programs
- Two-dimensional design programs
- Three-dimensional design programs
- Industrial design software
- Architectural software
- Coding and programming software