Explore career information by location


How to become a Realtor

Every state has different licensing requirements to become a realtor. For example, you may need to be a specific age, pass a background check and complete a college-level real-estate course. Depending on where you live, you'll need to complete a certain number of classroom hours, which you can do at a university or local college.

Finally, you'll need to pass the licensing exam and activate your real estate agent license with the NAR. When you've completed your qualifications, you'll need to start building a network to make it easier to find clients and properties to sell.

What skills help Realtors find jobs?

  • Sales Experience
  • Negotiation
  • Time Management
  • Outbound Sales
  • Sales Pipeline
  • Contracts
  • Communication Skills
  • Agriculture
  • Customer Service
  • Cold Calling
  • Purchasing
  • Acquisitions

Career progression for Realtor

Education levels for Realtors

1%1%7%38%53%Master's DegreeDoctoral DegreeAssociate's DegreeBachelor's DegreeHigh School Diploma or GED

Based on the requirements of Realtor job openings on Indeed in the United States within the last three years.

Expected salary by experience

0-44-88-1212-1616-2020-24Years of experience41k43k46k49k52kAnnual salary in USD

Based on resume data from Indeed users who reported working as a Realtor in the United States within the last three years.

Common qualifications for Realtors

  • Real Estate License
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Driver's License
  • Physician Assistant License
  • NMLS
  • Medical Laboratory Scientist Certification
  • Doubles/Triples Endorsement
  • Non-CDL Class C
  • Physical Therapy License
  • Life Insurance License
  • Medical License
  • Certified Notary Public
Frequently asked questions
Common questions about career advices for a Realtor

Do I need to meet educational qualifications to become a realtor?

No, although many real estate agents choose to obtain an undergraduate degree relating to finance or real estate. However, every state has different licensing requirements, and most of these require agents to complete coursework that can include courses relating to real estate law, property development and property management.

Was this answer helpful?