What does a Sales Manager do?
Sales managers work in a variety of environments depending on the products they sell and the size of the organization they work for. Sales managers are responsible for building and leading teams of strong sales associates to assist in reaching sales goals. The job sometimes requires traveling to national, regional, and local offices and also to dealers and distributors' offices. They also use their leadership skills in strengthening and encouraging their team.
Working as a Sales Manager
Depending on the company, a sales manager may:
- Recruit, hire and train sales team members
- Evaluate customer satisfaction rates and develop plans to improve ratings
- Monitor sales objectives and evaluate progress towards company goals.
- Plan, create and deliver sales report to upper management
- Mentor and coach sales members to improve sales skills.
How much does a Sales Manager make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a sales manager is $64,991 per year in the United States and $25,200 commission per year.19.5k salaries reported, updated at September 13, 2022
Where can a Sales Manager earn more?Compare salaries for Sales Managers in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Sales Manager
Is being a sales manager considered an in-demand occupation?
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of sales managers is projected to grow by 5 percent from 2018 to 2028.
What are the different types of sales managers?
Sales managers can be categorized into:
- Business to business (B2B) sales managers: Oversee sales from one business to the other, either working for manufacturers that sell to wholesalers, or wholesalers selling to retailers. For instance, a sales manager overseeing wholesale fruit sales to grocery stores.
- Business to consumer (B2C) sales managers: They work in a retail setting and oversee sales between businesses and individual consumers.
What alternative careers would aspiring sales managers consider?
Aspiring sales managers may also be interested in:
- Regional sales manager
- Director of sales
- Sales consultant