What does a Senior Accounts Payable Specialist do?
A senior accounts payable specialist, also known as a senior accounts payable clerk, ensures the accuracy of accounts payable reports, maintains accurate back-up documents and guarantees that all unpaid invoices are processed for an organization. They also closely monitor company expenses and budgets. In addition to handling financial records, senior accounts payable specialists may also lead or supervise a team of accounts payable specialists.
Working as a Senior Accounts Payable Specialist
Depending on their work experience and field of expertise, a senior accounts payable specialist may:
- Monitor company expenditures, including payrolls, invoices, orders, statements and bills.
- Prepare monthly reports and periodic analyses of accounts.
- Use software to keep company records and back-up data for tax purposes.
- Inspect records and reports for accuracy.
- Oversee the work of accountants and accounts payable clerks.
- Attend meetings with managers and executives.
How much does a Senior Accounts Payable Specialist make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a senior accounts payable specialist is $28.03 per hour in the United States. 176 salaries reported, updated at May 20, 2022.
Where can a Senior Accounts Payable Specialist earn more?Compare salaries for Senior Accounts Payable Specialists in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Senior Accounts Payable Specialist
What is the work schedule for senior accounts payable specialists?
Most senior accounts payable specialists work a full-time schedule during business hours. In some cases, they may work more than 40 hours a week to meet deadlines, especially during tax season, accounting audits and at the end of the fiscal year.
What skills do I need to be a senior accounts payable specialist?
Successful senior accounts payable specialists have the following skills:
- Analytical skills: You will need to be able to look at numbers and analyze them to find areas where costs can be saved.
- Computer skills: Being proficient in computers is essential, as most of the duties of an accounts payable specialist are performed using computer software.
- Attention to detail: You will be required to analyze reports and be able to pay attention to minor accounting details, data and expenses.
- Communication skills: Since you will be working with clients and government tax officials, you must have good listening and communication skills.
What are similar job titles to a senior accounts payable specialist?
Similar job titles to a senior accounts payable specialist include:
- Senior accounts payable clerk
- Accounts payable lead
- Senior accounting clerk
- Senior auditing clerk