What does a Senior Project Manager do?
As the name suggests, a senior project manager is the head of a particular project and works with a team of other project managers. A senior project manager is usually hired by a company that works on multiple projects at any given time and most of them are complex in nature. Senior project managers are entrusted with larger and complicated projects and more often than not, they are required to work on more than one project.
Working as a Senior Project Manager
In a typical scenario, the senior project manager is required to look into the following responsibilities:
- To supervise a complex project that could span into one or multiple lines of business
- Taking onus of the project right from the concept stage to execution and timely delivery of the same
- Preparing estimates and operational plan for seamless execution of the project
- Saving struggling projects, as sometimes a senior project manager may be involved in a project at a later stage when the project manager is not able to handle the same
- Reports on project completion including success metrics, analytics and results
- Hiring responsible staff and procurement of adequate resources for project completion and mentoring them
- Acting as an internal quality control check to ensure flawless project management
How much does a Senior Project Manager make in the United States?
Frequently asked questions
Which weakness could prove disastrous for a senior project manager?
A senior project manager cannot afford to be disorganized and thus this weakness could lead to a lot of complications for a senior project manager.
Can a senior project manager work from home?
A senior project manager can sometimes work from home, depending on their current work assignments and company policy.
What are skills that are essential to your role as a senior project manager?
Being a senior project manager requires a lot from a person, but certain skill sets are almost imperative for this role, including:
- Attention to detail
- Management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Budget management
- Planning expenditures and costs
- Leadership skills
- Planning skills