What does a Service Technician do?
Service technician is the job title given to an employee who performs technical services and repairs. Service technicians may work in a variety of different industries, such as the automotive industry, IT, HVAC and manufacturing. Service technicians may work in a repair shop or travel to businesses and clients' homes. They interact with clients, but primarily perform mechanical repairs and maintenance either independently or within a team.
Working as a Service Technician
Service technicians' duties vary depending on their chosen field, but typically include:
- Assessing problems using a combination of expertise and diagnostic equipment
- Repairing problems according to the manufacturer's standards and client's needs
- Performing routine maintenance
- Assessing costs and communicating with clients
- Filling out paperwork and service reports
How much does a Service Technician make in the United States?
Average base salaryData source tooltip for average base salary.
The average salary for a service technician is $18.20 per hour in the United States and $6,375 overtime per year.
Frequently asked questions
What is the expected job growth for service technicians?
Service technicians can expect stable employment opportunities, though some fields can expect more job growth than others. For example, according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, automotive service technicians can expect 6% job growth between 2018 and 2028, while an HVAC service technician's employment is projected to grow by 13% during the same period.
What are common service technician fields?
Here are some common service technician positions and their duties:
- HVAC service technician: Repair, install and maintain heating, cooling, ventilation and refrigeration equipment
- Automotive service technician: Repair and perform maintenance on cars and trucks, including vehicle transmissions, engines and braking systems
- Electrical service technician: Repair and maintain residential, commercial and industrial power systems and equipment