What does a Social Worker do?
The principal goal of a social worker is to help people. They carry out different tasks to assist people who are struggling with some facet of their lives. Whether it is assisting women who are suffering from domestic abuse or carrying out tasks to address social injustice, social workers seek to use available resources to provide help to those in need.
Get career advice
Our career coaches can help you make a plan.
Working as a Social Worker
The duties of social workers can be very broad. What they do will largely depend on the area of social work they represent. Social workers may carry out the following responsibilities:
- Providing counseling to people and directing them to relevant private or public resources
- Helping women who are suffering from domestic abuse
- Helping children or orphans who are suffering from emotional abuse
- Carrying out tasks to address social injustice
- Working on an operation to decrease the red lining of loans for low-income families
How much does a Social Worker make in the United States?
Average base salary
The average salary for a social worker is $63,900 per year in the United States. 24.8k salaries reported, updated at November 27, 2023
Where can a Social Worker earn more?Compare salaries for Social Workers in different locations
How much do similar professions get paid in United States?
Common questions about for a Social Worker
What is the job outlook for social workers?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the overall projected growth for social workers is expected to increase by 11% between 2018 and 2028.
Is social work a good career?
Factors that make social work a good career choice include:
- Many job opportunities
- A versatile career path
- Helping people through difficulties such as poverty, substance abuse and addiction
- Being the voice of marginalized groups of people in society
What do social workers do?
Social workers help individuals, families and groups of people to solve and cope with the problems they face in their lives. Some of the services offered to clients include counseling, education, therapy and connecting clients with relevant public or private resources.