How to become a Social Worker
Depending on the field of operation, there are numerous educational paths to becoming a social worker. To work as a social worker, the following may be required of you:
- Earn a bachelor's degree in social work or a related field such as sociology or psychology. Students are required to complete administered fieldwork or an internship.
- Earn a master's degree in social work if you are going for clinical positions.
- Complete two years of administered training and experience after earning a master's degree. This is required for clinical social workers.
- Get a certification for nonclinical social workers from the state where you want to work.
What skills help Social Workers find jobs?
- Acute care
- Addiction counseling
- Analysis skills
- Behavioral health
- Care plans
- Case management
- Communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Computer skills
- Discharge planning
Career progression for Social Worker
Education levels for Social Workers
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High school diploma or GED||6.3%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
|0 - 4||$37,400|
|4 - 8||$44,600|
|8 - 12||$49,200|
|12 - 16||$50,000|
|16 - 20||$49,600|
|20 - 24||$48,700|
Common qualifications for Social WorkersExplore popular schools to earn these qualifications
Common questions about career advices for a Social Worker
What other jobs can social workers do?
Jobs with similar duties to social workers include:
- Health Educators and Community Health Workers
- Rehabilitation Counselors
- School and Career Counselors
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, and Mental Health Counselors
Can you become a social worker without a degree?
No, prospective social workers must obtain at least a bachelor's degree in social work or a related field such as psychology or sociology to meet educational requirements.
How do you become a social worker?
Social workers must have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in social work. They can then obtain state licensure and other relevant certifications.