How to become a Store Manager
Becoming a store manager typically entails a combination of gaining appropriate retail experience and seeking out further education opportunities. Here are four steps to become a retail store manager:
- Find employment in a retail store. Being a store manager is a job that needs hands-on retail experience.
- Consider further education. Aspiring retail managers often take part-time courses in retail management. Some people look to go into retail after completing undergraduate degrees in business or related topics.
- Work your way through the store hierarchy.
- Advance to a store manager role.
What skills help Store Managers find jobs?
- Analysis skills
- Cash handling
- Communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Computer skills
- Customer service
- Employment & labor law
- Inventory control
Career progression for Store Manager
Education levels for Store Managers
|required level of education||percent of job openings|
|High school diploma or GED||60.0%|
|Middle school education||0.2%|
Expected salary by experience
|Years of experience||Annual salary in USD|
|0 - 4||$29,100|
|4 - 8||$32,500|
|8 - 12||$37,100|
|12 - 16||$41,200|
|16 - 20||$43,200|
|20 - 24||$44,800|
Common qualifications for Store ManagersExplore popular schools to earn these qualifications
Common questions about career advices for a Store Manager
How can retail managers increase their salary?
In busy stores, retail managers may have ample opportunity to work overtime, which can increase their salary. Retail managers can also consider applying to become an area manager, which is a role that commands a higher salary.
What are some personality traits of a good store manager?
Here are some important traits of a retail store manager:
- Being a goal-oriented person who thrives when setting and achieving goals
- Excellent at time management and highly organized
- Able to remain calm under pressure
- Strong communication skills when dealing with customers and staff
- Natural leadership abilities with a focus on building and encouraging a collaborative environment
- Being a natural problem solver who can resolve conflict and deal with unexpected issues
What other skills does a store manager need?
The store manager's job is vital to the success of any store. A good store manager needs other skills beyond personality traits, such as:
- Mathematical skills for managing budgets, working out profitability and maintaining financial records
- The ability to understand and comply with relevant health and safety regulations
- Recruiting, training and supervising staff