Alison | Free Online Courses & Online Learning ‐ Certifications, Cost, and Reviews
Alison is a free online learning platform that allows students to take individual courses, diplomas or learning paths. The courses can be used for people looking to increase their job skills, earn certifications, bolster their schoolwork or learn more about topics that they are personally interested in. People who undertake course of study from Alison do earn proof of course/program completion. While courses and proof of course completion are free, students can choose to purchase an official diploma.
Through its website, Alison offers more than 1,000 courses. The courses are self-guided and can be completed at any pace.
Alison course subject areas:
- Information Technology (IT)
- Software Development
- Life Science
- Health Care
- Software Engineering
- Skilled Trades
Students can choose to take one-off courses through Alison, or they can utilize the site’s learning paths or diploma programs to follow on a prescribed course pathway to gain expertise, certification or a diploma in a given subject area.
Alison courses are broken down into three levels of intensity:
- Certificate Courses – Certificate courses are designed to provide comprehensive, to-the-point information on a specific subject. Alison offers more than 900 certificate courses, all of which are free and take approximately 3 hours to complete.
- Online Diploma Certificates – Online diploma certificates require 8 to 10 hours of coursework. They are designed to give a deeper understanding of the course subject to allow for career growth.
- Learning Paths – Learning paths are 18 to 20 hours of course material outlined by subject matter experts. Learning paths are meant to lead to subject mastery in a variety of areas.
To determine which courses to take, people can browse the Alison course catalogue or use Alison’s career guides to find courses to develop a specific skill or search for courses by job description. Different types of courses are meant to meet students’ different learning goals and come three levels of intensity. To find courses, Alison students also can search by the knowledge or skill level they are seeking.
Alison breaks down coursework into three types:
- Personal Development – Personal development courses are designed for people who want to expand their knowledge in a particular area for their own personal purposes. Personal development courses are further broken down into two subcategories: Hobbies and Interests, and Personal Improvement.
- Academic – Academic courses are designed to help improve school performance or expand knowledge on academic topics. These courses are broken down into primary, secondary and third (college) level.
- Workplace – Workplace courses are designed to help students further their careers. Workplace courses are divided into job role training and formal training courses.
To take courses through Alison, students first sign up for a free account and create a personal profile. From there, students can register in their desired courses. As courses are completed, students can take assessments; students who earn 80% or higher on assessments are declared graduates of a course. They can then declare certification in their target area. (Source: https://alison.com/)
Alison | Free Online Courses & Online Learning offers classes online only.
This school offers training in 184 qualifications,
with the most reviewed qualifications
being Customer Service Certificate, Food Handler Certification, and Professional in Human Resources.
Time to complete this education training ranges from 1 hour
to 9 months
depending on the qualification, with a median time to complete of 24 hours
The cost to attend Alison | Free Online Courses & Online Learning ranges from Under $10 to $1,000 depending on the qualification,
with a median cost of $50.
When asked how they paid for their training, most reviewers responded, "This certification program was free for everyone".
The most commonly reported benefits of attending Alison | Free Online Courses & Online Learning are
"Flexible class hours" and "Affordable", but respondents also mentioned
"Good career preparation" and "Helpful career services" as notable benefits.
Alison | Free Online Courses & Online Learning has been reviewed 184 times, with an average
rating of 4.34 out of 5.
of reviewers would recommend Alison | Free Online Courses & Online Learning to a friend.