1-800-GOT-JUNK? Employee Reviews

Good money in spring and summer, hard work
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  NEw EnglandApril 16, 2019
Moving tons of junk items, often very heavy out of customers homes and to the dump. Often gross / unsafe working conditions. Pay is fine when there's is enough work.
Pros
good pay, some independance
Cons
dangerous / gross, hours vary seasonally, physically demanding
It's a dirty job.
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 16, 2019
If you want to be a glorified trash man for minimum wage, well I guess this is the place for you. Their culture is, they want to be a high-class junk collector, now that's hilarious. You'll have to go to the dump, oh that's fun. You may go into a hoarders house that is filled with cockroaches, clean up a construction site, lift heavy appliances. Trust me, you're not going to get paid enough to do this dirty job. But someone has to do it, just hope it's not you.
Worst job ever!!
Truck Team Member (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 8, 2019
They overbook jobs knowing that the dumps close and no one would have space on their trucks for other people's junk.

They work you 13 hours a day and don't expect you to take a break, they dont care about you all they care about it's getting the company some money. You are underpaid and overworked they will have you trying to do things that is outside of your job scope.
Pros
Cons
No break, under paid, overworked, poor management, no advancement
GREAT PLACE TO WORK! Exciting everyday, hard work BUT enjoyable.
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYApril 2, 2019
If you like to have a job where every single day is different and physical fitness is something you enjoy than I highly recommend 1-800-GOT-JUNK? I had such a great experience working for this company and even though it's hard work the GM understood because he started out in the trucks himself and would often hop in the trucks and help us out when needed. It's honestly like a treasure hunt on a daily basis and although not all customers are the same some are so wonderful. They do offer profit share which gave me a nice incentive to work harder. Got Junk became like a family and I really enjoyed being a part of it! Summers are busy and long and some days are hard (especially when its 100 degrees) but the GM always made sure we were taken care of wether it would be ice cold gatorade or lunches on him. I 100% recommend working for this company. They really do care!
Pros
Physical Fitness, Changes Daily, Camaraderie, Management that cares!
Earn it all
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  Watsonville, CAApril 1, 2019
Great place to start to learn how to manage small businesses. Although the wages are non-competitive to the area there are incentives that make the job worth it. The freedom and autonomy of being out on the road and no two days being the same are nearly unmatched with other businesses. You also earn tips for 5-star service. The best part, however, is the camaraderie and culture we hold at this location. There is a career progression system where everything is earned, not given. Crew members that exhibit the willpower to take control of their own success and manifest it in their work will quickly progress and be rewarded with more roles and responsibility.
Pros
Flexible hours, medical/dental benefits, each day offers similarities/differences, autonomy, Tips, team events
Cons
Non-competitive wages
Love the opportunity they offer
Manager (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAMarch 26, 2019
Good ethical working environment. Integrity is a high value in this company. Never felt pressured to do a job I did not think I was able to do.. GREAT!!
Great for part-time hours
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMarch 23, 2019
Great for students / retirees. Management was great, however, there isn't much growth. The hardest part of the job is accurately estimating a large bid. The most enjoyable part is the freedom and independence while working on the road.
Pros
Independence, Management
Cons
No benefits
Not worth the trouble
Construction Laborer (Current Employee) –  Town of Wappinger, NYMarch 22, 2019
Lack of work lack of hours lack of communication and understanding. Competition for a minimum of hours each week. Definitely not worth the trouble of headache
Pros
No pro
Cons
No job security lack of work lack of hours
Terrible place to work
Navigator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2019
a typical day at work is hard and long, but if you are willing to put up with the intense heat and can squeeze lunch in between jobs every day then you will be okay.
1800got junk is a stressful and terrible job
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2019
1800got junk is a stressful and terrible job with even worse Management With long hours six days a week possibly and terrible pay and The trucks were not drivable
Pros
tips
Cons
Everything else
Wow
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 6, 2019
I am currently employed with 1800GotJunk. I absolutely love my job, Ive never had a supervisor treat me so well. They listen to thoughts and opinions from the crew to make the job a better/safer place to work. Always give the correct tools to be a successful sales man in front of the client for Got Junk. You meet new people every day and every job for every client is different and challenging in its own way. When you arrive at a clients residents sometimes the client is stressed worried could be 100 different reasons why, When you clean out a house u can see the relief in their face and Ive been called "A life saver" by many clients.... You actually help people and it feels good. I could not imagine working anywhere else.
Pros
Everyday is different
Cons
No set time off (your done when your routs done)
Horrible
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 1, 2019
Management was over all bad, they were all self observed mid aged wanna be jocks!!! The hours were horrible, the training was horrible!! I even got pinned between a fridge and some stairs in a clients home and they were more worried about the language of me and my team mate then my well being!! Let’s just say i quit!!!!!
Pros
No pros
Cons
Managers are very disrespectful and immature.
Truck Team Member (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 28, 2019
If this company had better trained managers it’s would be a good starter job or for someone who needs a job quick. Downsides are managers are under trained and treat employees with disrespect. The time that I was working there it felt like you had to take constant harassment and if you got mad or stood up for yourself you would get fired. They call some employees gay and make fun of their moms.
Good things about the company is they sometimes they let you keep the metal that you collect when it’s in small amounts, if it’s a lot of metals the owner hops in one of the trucks and takes some from you. Also tips are sometimes good.
Pros
If you make a lot of money for the company they buy you pizza
Cons
They clock you out when the truck is not moving for 10 minutes
Treasure hunters dream
Trainer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Silicon Valley, CAFebruary 26, 2019
-Every day is different, Jobs range from a simple desk at an office to a whole house clean up. Its really rewarding to see how much of an impact we make in the customer life.

-In this company I lean to work harder then ever but with a big reward ranger from tips and awesome recognition from the clients and the management .

-All the my co-workers were great people never had a problem with them , In the contrary everyone was really awesome.

-Hardest part of the job is how dirty a job can get, but every time I encountered a difficult job I just reminded my self of the satisfaction of getting the job done for a company that cares and also think about all the great jobs and great people I've encountered.
Pros
Management, Everyday treasure, Tips
Cons
It’s a good temporary job
NAvigator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2019
father job requires you to work long and tiring hours. Management makes taking your lunch difficult. The company is growing each year yet they try to take incentives away from employees. Moving up in company is next to impossible. The few guys that moved up to office job got sent back to labor work because the company would rather stretch thin management then pay guys more. Health care and dental is offered but is over priced and the only offices we can visit are located downtown. They make you do jobs that aren’t safe for minimum wage.
Pros
4 days a week, incentives
Cons
Lack of promotion, hours, management, job safety
Great short term job with good pay
Truck Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PAFebruary 16, 2019
This was a great job, the managers and co-workers were fantastic. They really put a lot of time into hiring quality people. The pay was great with good tips and daily performance bonuses. However, the job is tough on the body, it is not uncommon to put in 12-13 hr days, so the work life balance is difficult. Due to being a junk removal company, the work itself is manual labor, and most jobs were clean, but there are some dirty jobs mixed in. Overall, I would recommend the job as long as you know what you are getting into. Again, the work culture is extremely positive and the days were made fun by the managers.
Pros
Good pay, good tips
Cons
long hours, demanding work
Work for junk king or college hunks
Laborer Worker (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 10, 2019
This company is really sucks, they don’t care at all for the workers it’s all about the income the revenue. They are all drug addicts working behind a truck/desk.
Pros
You drive around and do nothing.
Cons
This job sucks very low pay.
Awesome team of individuals with great management!
Presentation Team Member (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2019
1-800-GOT-JUNK is a great place to work if you’re looking for something temporarily. Could potentially be a long term option for many people. Lacks an intensive health care package or 401k option. If you are a hard working, positive optimistic individual then “Got Junk” is the place for you!
Pros
You determine if your day is going to be good or bad.
Cons
Inconsistent pay and hours.
Productive Work place with EXCELLENT management
Hiring Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2019
Our culture here is nothing like I have experienced at any other job before. We work hard, we admire teamwork and we have events for employees outside of work.
Pros
Pay, Tips, Benefits, People
Great opportunity
Coach (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 22, 2019
The days vary, no two days are alike!
You learn people skills and how to move furniture safely through houses the proper lifting techniques!
Management really works with you and is in contact through out your days to make sure you have what you need and they’re always a phone call away! It is a physical job so it may take sometime to get the muscles used to it but once they do you’ll be fine! They best part is that we’re helping people get space back and helping people who haven’t been able to do what we do for them on their own! It’s a joyous feeling!
Pros
If the metrics are met you can get a bonus each month

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 1-800-GOT-JUNK?. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss